About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

No Trades by Walt Jocketty Reds Stand Pat

The trade deadline passed at four o'clock, minutes after the Reds completed a sweep of the San Francisco Giants.

The St. Louis Cardinals, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Pittsburgh Pirates all made significant deals this week. The Reds will go with who they have.

The Reds were negotiating with the Houston Astros, presumably about leadoff hitter Michael Bourn or Hunter Pence.  Pence went to Philadelphia.  Bourn went to Atlanta.

"We really weren't close," Reds GM Walt Jocketty said.  "We thought we were yesterday. What they wanted was ridiculous."

While he did acknowledge talking to Houston, the statement was a general one.

"The teams we were talking to asked for prospects and not just one or two.  We like our prospects but realize you have to trade some to make your team better.  But we weren't going to mortgage our future," Jocketty said.

"One of the reasons they asked for so many was we have some really good ones."

Houston may not want to make a trade with division rivals

"That may have been part of it.  That may be why they asked for so much," Jocketty said.

"I will make any trade that will make our roster better," Jocketty said.  "I'm not afraid to make a deal."

 .

2 comments:

  1. a simple text to your good buddy, Chris Welsh and now you have a new follower. Of course, I did have an issue with spelling your name wrong.

    Pat
    Reds fan since 1970

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he leave the C out. It is a common mistake. Not to mention I spelled his name Welch for years. It was a mental block that took me years to get past.

    ReplyDelete