About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Johnny Cueto Keeps His Promise Shuts Out Reigning World Champs 9-0

Dusty Baker was concerned about his tired bullpen.  He asked Johnny Cueto for a complete game.  Cueto said,"I will."

Not only did he pitch a complete game, he shut out the San Franciscon Giants on three hits.

"He was masterful," Baker said.  "Our bullpen took a beating against the Mets.  Johnny gave us what we needed."

The Reds jumped on Giants' starter Barry Zito for three runs in the first inning, which was all Cueto needed but Joey Votto hit a three-run home run and Todd Frazier added the first home run of his career.

Drew Stubbs had a career-high four hits and scored three times.  Stubbs singled to start the game.  Edgar Renteria singled and Votto hit an RBI single to start the game. Brandon Phillips hit a sacrifice fly.  Jay Bruce contributed an RBI single.

The righthander reached the innings qualification for the ERA lead with the first out of the sixth.  He now leads the majors with a 1.72 ERA.

Cueto was reached for a single by former Red, Jeff Keppinger, then retired Carlos Beltran with a double play  for the first of 13 straight batters retired.  Brandon Belt walked in the sixth.  Aaron Rowand singled with two out in the inning putting the runner on second base for the only time.  Beltran singled leading of the seventh.  Belt reached on an error by Paul Janish and that was the extent of the baserunners.

"I've been working on my mechanics," Cueto said.  "I didn't turn my body as much in my delivery."

The complete game and the resurgent offense was pleasing to Baker.

"Johnny was masterful.  He works hard.  Joey is swinging the bat better and Jay (Bruce) got some runners in by doing the things we've talked about," Baker said.

Baker gave Votto Monday off.  Since then, Votto is 10-for-25 with four home runs and nine RBI.

Frazier played in his eighth game since his lastest recall.  In those games, he collected baseballs for his first hit, RBI and home run.

"I've got them all out of the way.  I'm good to go," Frazier said.

The Reds were down after being swept during the week by the New York Mets.  Veteran Miguel Cairo challenged his teammates to change their attitude and do the little things to help win games.  It made an impression on the rookie Frazier.

"I look up to the veterans on this team," Frazier said.  "Like Miguel was talking about the other day, when we put it all together, we'll be ok."

   



.

No comments:

Post a Comment