About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Before The Machine Star Jim Maloney

My good friend Mark Schmetzer has written a book about the 1961 Reds, a team that came from sixth place to win the National League pennant and face the New York Yankees, Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle in the World Series.

Fifty years ago this spring, Maloney was a 21-year old fresh off his "bonus baby" year with the Reds.  Before the amatuer draft, a player that was signed for over a certain amount had to be carried on a team's roster the entire year.

Maloney was behind the batting cage this morning as one of the Reds former players, who help out in spring training.

Throwing a fastball estimated over 100 mph in the days before radar guns, Maloney was a raw talent.  Much like the hard throwing, Homer Bailey, who is starting for the Reds against the White Sox today, Maloney was a raw talent that needed three seasons to become effective.

He broke through in 1963 with 23 wins and struck out 265 batters.  He pitched two no-hitters and lost one in the 11th inning of a game with the New York Mets when Cleon Jones hit a home run off him.

When he was with the Reds, I was a kid playing knothole baseball.  My coach, Gene Jesse asked me to pitch batting practice.  I didn't throw very hard and my teammates made fun of me hurting my feelings.  Gene told me not to worry about it.  "One day you will throw as hard as Jim Maloney."

When the Reds opened the Museum next to Great American Ball Park, Maloney was invited for the ceremony.  There is a speed pitch booth in it and Maloney threw 46 mph.  I tried and hit 53 mph.  The first thing I did was to email Gene Jesse at LaSalle High School to tell him he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment