About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Citizen Hernandez

Ramon Hernandez left the Reds spring training camp on Monday.

He flew to Ft. Lauderdale to take the test for US citizenship.  He answered the required six questions successfully.  The last step is to take the oath.

"My wife is a citizen.  My kids are citizens.  I was the last one," Hernandez said.  The 34-year old catcher lives in Oakland Park, Florida year round.

"Countries are changing the rules all the time," Hernandez said.  "Every year you hear about what happens to the immigrant people."

Arizona has been in the news for its tough stance on illegal immigration.  Hernandez, who intends to live in the US, wanted to insure that he will have no trouble with authorities.

Hernandez thinks he will have to surrender his Venezuelan passport.

"I don't care.  I'm going to live here.  My life is here," Hernandez said.

No comments:

Post a Comment