About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reverse Spring Houston Wins 2-0

Johnny Cueto started the game after (clinching) with 31 starts.  The rest of the players in the starting lineup had about that many.

Cueto's last start was a good one.  He pitched seven innings.  He allowed one earned run and eight hits including a bloop double by Carlos Lee that scored the only run the Astros needed.

An error by Yonder Alonso and indecision by rookie Chris Valaika allowed the second run to score.

The only concern was a ball hit by Lee that caught Cueto on the left leg. He finished the inning.

Cueto was unconcerned about his supporting cast.

"It didn't bother me.  I just have to go out and do my job.  Today, I was calm and my level of concentration was better (than his last start in Milwaukee)," Cueto said.

Baker pulled the reverse of a typical spring training game to let his regulars catch their breath after an emotional and physical grind toward clinching the division.  The team has four more games before the playoffs.

He started reserve players and September call ups at every position.  Later in the game the regulars got one at bat.  Baker is walking a fine line between getting players rest and keeping them sharp.

"Very few guys can turn it on and turn it off.   The only players that I have seen do that was Barry Bonds and Ricky Henderson.  That's rare and hard to do," Baker said.

"I haven't seen too many teams win the day after they clinched," Baker said.  "Most of the team will be out there (Thursday)."

Cueto hasn't had a win in the month and it really wasn't a top of mind issue for the skipper.

""What's it been a month?  We've been trying to get him off those 12 wins.  (Cueto finished 12-7) He's due for a real long streak."

No comments:

Post a Comment