About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reds Starter Back Arroyo Wins 17th Game 9-1

The starters were back two days after the celebration ended for taking the first step to a possible World Championship.

The team pounded Brett Myers and knocked him out after 5 2/3 innings the first time all season that he failed to last at least six innings.

Drew Stubbs drove in four runs and homered.  Brandon Phillips and Jonny Gomes hit home runs.

Last night the Reds failed to score but much can be traced to the celebration Tuesday.

Tonight the preparation for the playoffs began.

"We're looking forward to it man," Phillips said.

Phillips suffered a set back in August when he was hit on his hand by a pitch in San Francisco.

"I'm starting to get feeling back in it," Phillips said.  "I feel good.  You get extra energy from making the playoffs.  It's like I've got my third wind.  I got my second after the All-Star break."

The over emphasis on the playoffs can take its toll.

"I read a book by John Wooden," Dusty Baker said.  "He said that early in his career he may have over prepared his teams and they didn't have much success.  Sometimes you have to just play."

Bronson Arroyo, who set a new career high and has been through the playoffs with Boston is on the same page with his manager.

"I told reporters in Boston when they asked me that, that I was more nervous in little league when I was eight or nine in Key West.  If I burn a lot of energy spewing adrenaline, I won't last very long.  No one here has asked my advice but if they did I'd tell them its like our fight with St. Louis last month.  The emotion of the game can take your head out of it."

The team realizes that it may be facing two-time National League Champions, the Philadelphia Phillies.

"Sure we talk about who we're going to play," Arroyo said. "It's going to be different for this team going into Philadelphia, one of the top three hostile crowds. If you ask anybody, they say they'd rather play anybody but Philly.  But that's the way it is.  You've got to strap it on and try to play good baseball."

No comments:

Post a Comment