About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Arizona Takes the Finale 3-1 Reds Still in Command

The Reds hit the road, Houston, Milwaukee and San Diego with a magic number of 10 pending the Cardinals tilt with the Padres in St. Louis tonight.

Rodrigo Lopez handcuffed the Reds for seven innings, allowing one run on eight hits.

Edinson Volquez had a subpar fifth inning.  He walked the first two batters of the inning and the Diamondbacks strung three hits together for a 3-1 lead.

"He just lost the strike zone for an inning," Baker said.  "Sometimes that's all it takes."

The key hit was a double by Gerardo Parra that was a slow ground ball down the firstbase line that Joey Votto couldn't quite get to.

"Volquez was real good," Baker said.  "That one change up dribbled down the line.  He is real close to wear he was a couple years ago."

Volquez was an All-star with 17 wins in 2008 but missed most of last season with elbow problems that were corrected by surgery.

"I'm really close (to top form from 2008).  My delivery is better.  I'm throwing more fastballs for strikes. I lost my rhythm a little bit today but I just need to pitch.  I get better each time out."

The Reds are very close to securing the National League Central Division crown.

"We haven't won anything yet," Baker said before the game.  "People tell me congratulations but I said for what? We don't have anything to celebrate.  We are playing teams with nothing to lose.  Teams that want to prove themselves and guys trying to improve their numbers for a salary drive."

Jonny Gomes, who had two hits said, "We can't get ahead of ourselves.  We're in a situation where we don't have to watch the scoreboard.  We can concentrate on winning innings.  We've done a good job of keeping our eyes on the prize."

No comments:

Post a Comment