About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Volquez Brilliant and Reds Rock Colorado 8-1

Edinson Volquez nightmare is over.

After a 50-games suspension for taking a fertility drug that tested as a performance enhancing drug and rehabilitating a repaired right elbow for 11 months, Volquez made a highly successful return to the mound.

The first batter he faced doubled and scored one out later but the next 5 2/3 innings he was brilliant.  He allowed one hit and two walks, striking out nine the rest of the way.

"I was excited," Volquez said.  "I was overthrowing in the first inning then I settled down in the second and third."

His return had the effect of a blockbuster trade and only cost the Reds the services of an already injured Mike Lincoln.  Texas can have Cliff Lee.

"He didn't look any different to me," Baker said.  "Getting a productive Volquez is like a major trade.  It gives us a lift.  The guys are elated to have him back."

Volquez developed a better curve ball in his time off.

"The last two years I didn't throw too many curves.  Tonight I thought my curve was better than my change up.  Now I have two more pitches," Volquez said.

For the near future the Reds starting rotation feature a pair of pitchers that burst on to the major league scene in 2008, Volquez and Johnny Cueto and two rookies, Mike Leake and Travis Wood with aged Bronson Arroyo at 10-4 the only battle tested veteran.  The rotation is so young, Dusty Baker and pitching coach Bryan Price don't know whether to hold meetings to go over hitters or pack a mini-van and drive them to a Dairy Queen for a cone.

"I had never seen him throw live," pitching coach Bryan Price said.  "I've watched a lot of video on him and in bullpens, but the one thing you don't know until you see them is how they compete.  Do they pick at the corner, or shy away from the good hitters?  He showed unbelievable confidence.  He seems to be able to miss the bat. I don't know if that's by design but he can get a strikeout when he needs to."

Another Diaper Dandy, (sorry Dick Vitale), Drew Stubbs provided the offense.  He hit two home runs and drove in three, his second multi-home run game this month.  He hit three in Wrigley Field on July 4.

Jonny Gomes and Brandon Phillips also homered for the home side.  Phillips hit his with two runners on.

"A lot of people are going to be nervous to play us," Phillips said.  "I'm enjoying the ride. It was great to see Stubby swinging the bat well."

The Reds had only five hits but Jorge De La Rosa walked five to aid Cincinnati.

Two relievers, rookies, Logan Ondrusek and Jordan Smith battled through runny noses of their own to finish off the Rockies.

"There are a lot of nice stories here," Price said.

No comments:

Post a Comment