About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fans Say the Funniest Things

Since 1992, I have covered thousands of MLB baseball games as well as hundreds of NFL games, a couple NBA and NHL games, lots of college and high school games. I've worked ABL pro-basketball, professional indoor soccer if anyone remembers the Cincinnati Silverbacks.

The stories I like the best are some that don't get into the paper. When I was younger and didn't really understand the nuances of the game, I could name all sorts of statistical records. I was the nerdy little kid with glasses, who could tell you Johnny Temple's batting and fielding average.

As I grew older, my enjoyment of sports shifted from the statistical to the human interest. I enjoy the locker room humor and the stories that give insight to the personalities of the participants.

Lately, my professional participation has slumped along with the economy. The news media has been forced to cut back coverage at a time when more and more people have the ability to publish their insights, like I'm doing on this blog.

Last year was the first season in which I did not cover all of the Reds home games. I sat in the stands with my lovely girlfriend for the first time in close to 20 years. Normally, I prefer to watch games at home but living alone, I occasionally like to watch at a sports bar.

I was not assigned to the Reds, Friday night contest in the cross state series between Cleveland and Cincinnati. I went to a neighborhood establishment to watch the last five innings. I intentionally picked one that I did not go to on a regular basis so that I could watch and not get sucked into a lengthy bar conversation, yet there were people around.

The thing that I have noticed from sitting in the stands and going out to watch on TV with a crowd is the commentary. It is the perfect example how a little bit of knowledge is so totally depleted of fact.

Cincinnati had runners on second and third with one out in a tie game. Pitcher Bronson Arroyo was the batter. Arroyo, would not be a superstarter hitter, but he does have a clue. He can get the occasional hit and is a decent bunter.

The Cleveland pitcher threw a pitch out of the strike zone, then Arroyo attempted a squeeze bunt but it rolled foul. The next two pitches were out of the strikezone. The Indians played the infield in to choke of the run and prevent a weak ground ball from giving the Reds a lead.

With a 3-1 count, Arroyo fouled off the next pitch. The local barstool manager, threw up his arms and yelled to Dusty Baker as if he could be heard through the bar's wide screen. "Why didn't he have the pitcher take that pitch?" the fan demanded. Not knowing the full background of Arroyo's and his relative ability as a hitter, it seemed like the logical strategy. I bit my tongue as the other bar flies agreed.

Major League managers do not micromanage pitch-by-pitch. They let the players make the in game decisions much more often than not. Players would not want to play for a manager that would constantly flash a take sign. It would be foolish to do so. Players in the batters box really have to be on their own. Do they make mistakes? Of course. The game is much harder than it looks from the press box and broadcast booth. I consider Thom Brennaman a horrible broadcaster. He should stick to play by play and save his less than knowledgeable opinion.

You have to let the player make the instantaneous decisions. They become professionals by their ability. The reason they go through several years of minor league play is to learn how to make the thousands of in-game decisions. Why try to dictate their movements when sitting dozens of rows in the stands. It makes no sense.

Arroyo eventually popped up. The fan blamed Dusty Baker, who did nothing wrong at all. It was so unfair but again I let it slide untill............

The Indians put runners on first and third with one out. Arroyo threw the next pitch and the Cleveland hitter bounced into a double play.

I jumped up, pumped my fist and said, "That's the way Dusty," in front of the bar full of strangers, who did not know my background.

The original "expert" looked at me with surprise. "What did Dusty do," he wondered out loud.

"He gave Arroyo the signal to throw the pitch that got the double play," I explained.

"Dusty didn't do anything," he countered.

"If you're going to blame him for Arroyo's at bat, you have to give him credit for Arroyo's pitch," I told him.

They got the point. We all had a laugh but it is true. Fans tend to blame the manager for strategies that they assume and rarely happen on the field.

The same crowd. The same game. Adam Rosales came to bat with a runner in scoring position.

The TV graphic was on the screen with the acronym RISP Runners in scoring position to show Rosales average in those situations.

"Why would anyone name their kid Risp," the fan asked in all seriousness.

I let the bar expert explain as I laughed out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment