About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

And The Not So Funny

After so long in the press box, I realized that I'm a fish out of water in the stands now.

I have trained myself not to cheer. It is frowned upon.

On Wednesday, I'm in the stands at the Reds game with Philadelphia. I am oblivious to the fans in the row in front of me. I was discussing Tony LaRusa to a man to my left, who I had never met. He found out that I have been in major league clubhouses and occasionally hear things that give insight but are off the record.

One major league manager blurted out an unsolicited, unflattering opinion of LaRusa using the f-word twice. I told the man next to me the story, unedited.

I don't use that type of language often. I will to add color to a story, among friends and strangers as long as it adds to the story. But I don't cuss just to cuss. I try very hard to communicate without unnecessary shock value.

A fan in front of me, who was not and should not been involved in the conversation jumped all over me. He was offended and I believe used his five-year old grandson, who had a hot dog on his mind and not anything I said.

It was the way he immediately jumped me that pissed me off. I would have felt bad if the kid heard me but he didn't. I was not going to let some yahoo, who had no right to involve himself in my private conversation.

I unpolitely told him to mind his own business and butt the H out of my private conversation.

It is not my intent to offend people but I do not worry about the sensibility of others when I am not directing my speach to them.

I believe in free speech. I believe that there is far too much censorship. Words no matter how vulgar the meaning have never hurt anyone, unless the "victim" allowed it. I even hold the contention that even the youngest children are not harmed by hearing foul language. I believe that they should not be sheltered. I believe parents should teach their children that these words exist and how to react reasonably.

The eight o'clock moral TV standard is one of the reasons that this country is becoming too soft, too sensitive for its own good.

So now I've said it. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment