About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Jorge Soler Powers Marlins Over Reds


Jorge Soler hit his 28th home run and second of the series to put the Miami Marlins ahead. Soler greeted Lucas Sims with a line drive over the right centerfield wall. 

The Marlins scored first for the second straight night. Luke Weaver got the first two batters out in the second inning. Jake Burger and Joey Wendle hit back-to-back doubles to score one run. Nick Fortes beat out a dribbled ball to third baseman Nick Senzel. Weaver walked Jorge Soler, who has 27 home runs coming into the game. Weaver had to face baseball's leading hitter Luis Arraez with the bases loaded. He got Arraez to grounded out to Elly De La Cruz to end the inning.

The Reds got the run back against Braxton Garrett in the bottom of the inning. Spencer Steer opened the inning with a solid single. Kevin Newman forced him at second, and moved to second on a wild pitch. TJ Friedl hit a double to score Newman.

Stuart Fairchild, leading off the fifth inning, dumped a flair down the right field line. It landed just fair but got past Jesus Sanchez and rolled down the right field line. Fairchild made third easily and was waived home but third base coach, changed his mind and threw up a stop sign when Fairchild was half way home. The runner stopped in the middle but Arraez, relay was low. Catcher Fortes blocked the low throw but couldn't control it. Fairchild sprinted the rest of the way and dived around Fortes tag. It was ruled a triple and an error on Arraez.

"Off the bat I thought pop up, I'm out," Fairchild said. "I kind of jogged out of the box. I saw that he (Sanchez) wasn't really hustling very hard to get it. That's when I got on my horse and started digging. Once I saw him miss the ball, I thought stand up triple easy. When I was halfway to third base, I saw J.R. (House) waiving me. He threw on the stop sign right when I was touching third base. I was too far gone. I just kept going. I saw the ball coming in. I was halfway home when the catcher was about to have the ball. I was out at that point but when he bobbled it. I was like, I have to take a chance at this."

"I don't know if I've ever had one to be honest with you. I didn't happen in college or high school so maybe little league when I had one."

Sam Moll relieved Weaver in the top of the fifth with Soler on first with his second single. Moll got Arraez to roll into a 4-6-3 double play. Moll allowed a leadoff double to Josh Bell in the sixth but got two quick outs. Miami manager Skip Schumaker sent Jon Berti to bat for Sanchez. David Bell countered with Buck Farmer. Berti lined out to Fairchild in right.

Farmer got the first two outs in the seventh inning but hit the .219 hitting Fortes. Lucas Sims entered the game. Soler hit a line drive just above the right centerfield fence. 

Garrett, Andrew Nardi and Tanner Scott retired 12 Reds' batters in a row after Fairchild's triple.

Newly acquired, David Robertson came in to close the game out for  Miami. Robertson came from the New York Mets on July 30. He walked Joey Votto but struck out Christian Encarnacion-Strand looking to earn his second save as a Marlin and 16th of the season. 

"We know we need to score more runs to be able to win," Bell said. "I thought we took some good at bats off of Garrett. They made some nice plays. No question we need more opportunities on the bases. They did a nice job in keeping us off the bases."

The Marlins ended their five-game losing streak and moved to within a half game of the Reds in the Wild Card standings.






No comments:

Post a Comment