About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 17, 2023

Another Rookie Sensation Christian Encarnacion-Strand Or CES Makes Jump To Big Time

 


While fans lamented the trading of Jesse Winker, Eugenio Suarez, Tyler Mahle, Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo, the Reds obtained the services of some big time talent with no name recognition.

That is changing as the Reds have improved the team from within with Andrew Abbott, Elly De la Cruz, Matt McLain and now Christian Encarnacion-Strand.

He leads the International League with 177 total bases, fourth among all minor league players. He is second with 65 runs scored, second with 43 extra-base hits, fourth with a .637 slugging percentage, fifth with a 1.042 OPS, fifth with 20 home runs, sixth with 62 RBI, seventh with a .331 batting average and hits 92.

CES had a good spring in Goodyear before being sent to minor league camp.

The Reds put Kevin Newman on the 10-day Injured List with gastritis.

"He's played well. He deserved a shot with Kevin on the injured list, it was the perfect time to bring him up," Reds general manager Nick Krall said. "He made adjustments over the last couple of months. He cut his chase rate from 49 1/2 to 38 1/2 percent which is huge getting it down to that in the middle of the season. He is taking better at bats with that he's still shown power."

"He has been able to hit outside of the zone but cutting down his chase rate brought the zone more to him. It allowed him to get better at the Triple A level."

Encarnacion-Strand came to the Reds from Minnesota with Spencer Steer and LHP Steve Hajjar for Tyler Mahle on August 2, 2022.

"It means a lot," said the 23-year old native of Walnut Creek, California. "Now I get to play with a really, really good group of guys. The guys have been always welcoming. The same thing in spring training, the were super, super nice to me. I don't feel pressure or anxiety to go in there with them."

CES made the jump from Double A to Triple A this season. He played at Yavapai Community College in Prescott, Arizona as well as Oklahoma State University.

"I had to remind myself, it's a game," said Encarnacion-Strand who will wear number 33 with just Encarnacion on the back of the jersey. 

"I learned that I couldn't get caught up in, I need to go up. I need to go up. I learned to focus on your game, keep my head down and work hard. When the time is right, the time will come."

Encarnacion-Strand played third base and a couple of games in the outfield.

He will be the designated hitter against San Francisco's Logan Webb batting seventh. Encarnacion-Strand will be the 12th player to make his Major League debut for the Reds this season.







 





No comments:

Post a Comment