About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Andrew Abbott Cuts The Giants Down To Size Reds Roast Cobb


The Reds gained a series split over the San Francisco Giants with a 5-1 win.

Andrew Abbott made the start for the Reds dueling Alex Cobb, who is in the top 10 in the National League with a 2.82 ERA.

"It is impressive," David Bell said. "It impresses all of us. I don't think it impresses himself. I think ever since the first day he came here. He knew what he was capable of. I expects it of himself. He respects the league. He respects the difficulty of what he has to do but at the same time he pitches with great confidence."

Abbott started the game statistically better with a 2.45 ERA but with only 10 starts, including Thursday's start is ineligible for the leader board.

Abbott retired the first eight Giant batters before walking number nine hitter Brett Wisely. San Francisco managed one hit in eight innings against Abbott, who retired the last 12 in order. He walked two and struck out six in his longest outing of his season and career. His ERA dropped to 2.10.

Yet he didn't have his best stuff.

"I actually came up to Luke after that last inning and said I didn't have my best stuff at all today but at the end of the day, you have to go out and compete," Abbott said. "I made some good adjustments in the middle of the game. I talked to DJ and talked to Luke. I was just focusing on direction so Ibstopped those wide misses. I made a good enough adjustment just to get in the zone. I was able to get ahead later in the game than earlier. I was throwing all four pitches at the end of the game instead of just two at the beginning."

The Reds were hitless until Luke Maile followed a walk to Will Benson with his fourth home run of the season.

Wilmer Flores, who has four home runs in the series, walked to open the fourth. He was still at first with two outs when Luis Matos earned the first Giants hit, a double over Benson's head in left. Benson threw to Elly De la Cruz in shallow left, who relayed to Maile in plenty of time to nail Flores at home. 

Maile did it all today. He caught eight scoreless innings, was involved in a key defensive play and oh by the way had three hits, including the home run that started the offense.

"He's really good. A lot of people with any idea behind the plate would have fun catching him. He's responsible, ultimately, where the ball goes. The majority of the time, he does a really good job of executing. I enjoy catching him. I don't dismiss the fact that pitchers  get comfortable with guys. I'm not saying it's total nonsense but I just want to be clear. He's really good," said Maile of Abbott.

"It kind of the way it was going you knew they were going to send him as soon as the ball left the bat. It is like we do in spring training. We know he's coming home. It's going to be close. You just have to execute," said Maile about the key defensive play."

Getting three hits means a lot," Maile said. "The role that I've been in for most of my career, you want to give good at bats and when they throw you something to hit, you have to hammer it. There was a little bit of a spell there for me offensively. I felt I was kind of holding us back at the bottom of the lineup. I take a lot of pride in trying to turn that lineup over at the very minimum and if possible kind of do some damage."

Jonathan India reached Cobb for a double to lead off the fourth. He moved up on Joey Votto's ground out and scored on Christian Encarnacion-Strand's single. 

The run-wild-Reds had two runners erased on the bases. De la Cruz hit a one-hopper to Flores at first with runners at the corners. Flores threw Benson out at home on a close play. TJ Friedl hit a ground ball up the middle. De la Cruz beat the play at second but was standing up and rounded the bag. Maile was thrown out at home after stopping at third.

Jake Fraley doubled and scored on India's single to plate the Reds' fifth run. 

Derek Law took care of the Giants in the ninth but gave up Flores 12th home run with two outs and the bases empty.

There was a question of whether Abbott would get a chance to complete the shut out.

"They just ask you if you have one more in you. It was pretty hot out there and the bullpen's been taxed. I wanted to use all my bullets. I only have one start every five days. So I just wanted to go out there and lay it all out," Abbot said.

"It was hot out there. He was pretty tired," Bell said. "I think what allowed him to go longer was the way he got quick outs in the later innings," Bell said.

During the Reds losing streak of six games, they generally got good pitching but the offense was anemic. Today they got plenty of both with some additional defense, including De la Cruz relay.

"The defense was outstanding all day. Sometimes they go hand in hand. You have a starter throwing strikes. Luke Maile did a good job with Andrew today," Bell said.

"The thing about Elly right now, is he's helping us win in so many ways. A lot of it goes unnoticed even though we're all recognizing what a special player he is. Even like pop ups that most players don't get to on the field. Taking a run of the board is just huge in any game and that was a huge play today."

No comments:

Post a Comment