About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 16, 2023

Reds Win Sixth Straight As Andrew Abbott Worked Six Scoreless Innings Reds Even On The Season 35-35


The question this game between the Houston Astros and Reds would JP France or Andrew Abbott blink first.

It was France, who blinked in the Reds' 2-1 win over Houston. Tyler Stephenson hit his fifth home run of the season with one out in the seventh. Will Benson, who replaced Stuart Fairchild, who was scratched with a stiff neck, walked. With two outs Kevin Newman doubled into the left field corner and Benson beat the throw to the plate. Seth Martinez ended the inning by getting Luke Maile to line out to Jeremy Pena at short.

"It's huge especially against this team and what they did last year," Stephenson. "The more times you face a pitcher the more comfortable you feel. He threw a breaking ball that stayed up. It is good to see it go over the fence."

It was the Reds sixth straight win. 

Two rookies traded zeroes early in the game. France started for Houston and retired the first 10 Reds' batters before Matt McLain beat out a ground ball to shortstop. He allowed two singles in the first six innings.

Abbott also allowed an infield hit to short but retired nine of the first 10 batters through three innings. He allowed a two-out single and walk in the fourth but stranded both runners.

Since the mound was moved back to 60' 6" in 1893, Abbott's 17 2/3 scoreless innings through six, is the most by a Reds' pitcher to start his big league career. Wayne Simpson pitched 15 scoreless innings to start his career in 1970.

"He's had three great starts to begin his career," David Bell said. "Not taking anything away from his other starts, but tonight might have been the best, going up against a team with those great right handed hitters. What an outstanding start. It was a big game for us. He did what we needed him to do and more."

Abbott is the first Major League pitcher to pitch five or more innings of shutout baseball in his first three starts.

"That's pretty cool," Abbott said. But I wouldn't be in the position I'm in if the team wasn't playing well behind me. These are the defending champs so we were trying to play with a little edge on us."

The rookie had to face situations with more than one base runner in the fourth and fifth innings.

"I think that's kind of the reliever nature that I have," said Abbott who pitched out of the bullpen in college for three years. "That's kind of still in my head. I understand when guys are on base in the back end of a ballgame. I have to get these guys out, anyway possible. I've had the best of both worlds in my career. I hope to keep it going."

Buck Farmer took over for Abbott to protect the two-run lead. Abbott pitched six scoreless innings with four hits and two walks. He struck out two. Farmer pitched a scoreless seventh and Lucas Sims pitched a 1-2-3 eighth against the heart of the Astros order. 

Alexis Diaz, who has pitched five times in seven games, started the ninth inning trying to go 18-for-18 in save chances which would pass his brother, Edwin, for the longest current streak of 23 saves in a row. 

"It is good for Diaz to experience it. He handled it very well. It is great. It has been a big week for us but we still have to take care of him and I'm prepared to do that."

He allowed a double to Jose Abreu to lead off but a deep fly sent Abreu to third and he scored on a ground out. Diaz walked Chas McCormick. Corey Julks pinch hit for Martin Maldonado. Julks lined out to TJ Friedl in center field to end the game.

"I'm tired a little bit," Diaz said. "It was an inning that I had to battle a lot. My brother is talking to me every day. He knows how the team is doing. He tells me to keep fighting every day. He went through a stretch in 2018 that had to pitch a lot of days consecutively. He told me to stay strong."






No comments:

Post a Comment