About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 3, 2023

Welcome Back Kotter Tucker Barnhart Returns

 

 

 

Tucker Barnhart was a Cincinnati Red since he signed as an 18-year old when the club drafted him out of Brownsville, Indiana High School in the 10th round.

Barnhart was going to go to Georgia Tech where a coach there was famous for developing catchers.  He opted to learn in the big leagues.

By the age of 23, Barnhart now 32, broke in with the Reds in 2014. He spent eight years developing into a Gold Glove catcher.

The Reds cut ties after the 2021 season.  Barnhart spent 2022 with the Detroit Tigers but returned today as a member of the Chicago Cubs.

"It was definitely odd walking into the visitors clubhouse," Barnhart told reporters before the game.  "Cincinnati will always have a special place in my heart.  I played with so many awesome teammates.  My favorite memories, making the playoffs in 2020, my big league debut, my Gold gloves in 2018 and 2020, there are probably more that I forget than I remember."

There were a lot of memories, his children were born in the Queen City.  His return was an emotional one.

"I have more nerves today, than I've had in a long time," Barnhart said. The first day of a series is always more of a work day for me, going over scouting reports.  I haven't talked to anybody yet, just some text messages."

David Bell, the Reds' manager, managed him for three seasons.

"It was great to see him," said Bell, who talked to Barnhart briefly today. They were able to catch up more this spring in Arizona.  "Sometimes it seems he is still part of our team.  He invested so much into this team."

The Reds loss of Barnhart is the Cubs game.  David Ross, the Cubs manager, is also a former Reds' catcher. Ross has been through emotional returns like this during his playing days.

"It is exciting to face your former team for the first time," Ross said.  "These are the fun moments, going back to the team where you came up and had success here.  As a catcher, I admired him from afar, for a long, long time.  It's a treat for me as a former catcher to watch guys like him and Yan Gomes.  They love Tucker here so happy he gets to come back to a place where he came up and played most of his career. I hope the fan base show him a lot of love, tonight.  I know this place has meant a lot to him."

While professional baseball is a serious competitive business to players, it is also a activity that should be fun.  Barnhart has that perspective.

"He is fun to have in the clubhouse, you've heard about the combined no-hitter the watches he gave the coaching staff," Ross said. The Cubs pitchers threw nine hitless innings in a spring training game which is completely meaningless but unusual and rare.  Barnhart bought toy Mario Brothers watches. It is a baseball tradition that pitchers and catchers of a regular season no hitters get a new watch.  Barnhart had some fun with it.

"He's the guy who keeps guys loose and also has the salty veteran presence at times too," Ross said. "I can really relate to that at the back end of my career.  He's a fun guy who loves to compete, loves his teammates. He is all in on whatever your doing.  He is also good at his job."

















 


No comments:

Post a Comment