About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Tampa Bay Rays Jump All Over Levi Stoudt In A Rout


Levi Stoudt made his first Major League start for the Reds against the red hot Tampa Bay Rays.  The key player in the trade for Luis Castillo to Seattle was greeted by Yandy Diaz sixth home run of the season.

It was the first salvo in a 8-0 Rays win to take two out of three in the series. The Reds have not scored in the last 18 innings.  They lost 10-0 on Tuesday.

"It was kind of a haze," Stoudt said. "The first inning, I kind of came out of it, like what happened.  There were a lot of emotions. The game sped up on me a little bit. I think the biggest thing is I came back and fought through those last three innings. I am going to takeaway the positives."

Brandon Lowe singled and Randy Arozarena drilled a single high off the left field wall.  One out later, Isaac Paredes doubled home B. Lowe.  Josh Lowe singled to score two runs.  He scored on a double by Manuel Margot.  Yesterday's hero, Taylor Walls, watched the sixth run score on a balk.  

The Reds started it's first at bat against Drew Rasmussen in a six-run hole.  

Walls's single drove in Josh Lowe, who walked in the third.  It game the Rays' shortstop five hits and five RBI in the last two games of the series.

Stoudt was able to last four innings before Lucas Sims took over.  Sims from the injured list from lower back spasms.

"Levi was very excited to be out there, emotional.  It is a dream come true for every player to be out there," David Bell said. "The first inning, I don't care how good you are. You don't know what to expect. It is a lot to deal with just the emotions of being on Major League mound for the first time.  In between the first and second, he was able to settle in."

Fernando Cruz walked the first two Rays in the sixth inning.  Diaz and B. Lowe singled for one run but Cruz struck out two to limit the damage. 

Rasmussen finished with five innings. He allowed three singles and three walks before Josh Fleming came into the game in the sixth.

The Reds finished the game with another position player pitching the ninth inning.  Jason Vosler, who pitched the ninth inning on Sunday returned to the mound against the Rays.  Luke Maile finished the game last night.

On a  other side of the pitching debacle, the Reds' managed five singles.  They didn't threaten until the ninth inning when a wild Pete Fairbanks loaded the bases and nearly hit some Reds' hitters.

"Our guys are taking it personal. We faced some good pitching. No doubt about that," Bell said.  "As a competitor, you don't see it that way. We have to find ways to get better."

Bell was ejected by home plate umpire, Erich Bacchus.  He thought the pitcher was coming too close to his hitter's head.

"I don't know the Rays well.  I give them the benefit that it wasn't intentional. I wouldn't accuse them of that," said Bell as much out of frustration over the last two games as anything else. "At the same time, I want our hitters to be protected, especially when they're throwing that hard. I saw a couple. We can't allow that.  Finally, I had enough."

 






No comments:

Post a Comment