About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 6, 2023

Luis Castillo Finds A Home In Seattle


   `

Luis Castillo is 30 years old as he took the mound for the Seattle Mariners this afternoon against the Cubs with Tucker Barnhart.

Castillo was a hot prospect, who kept being dealt as a prospect in exchange for veterans. 

He signed with the San Francisco Giants as an 18-year old.  The Giants traded him to the Marlins.  Two days later the Marlins dealt him to San Diego.  The next year he was back with the Marlins.

The Reds acquired his talent and his "Bugs Bunny" change up for Dan Straly, who Florida inserted into their rotation.

The rightie broke in with Reds in 2017 out of Double A and pitched for them five plus years until the Reds realized they couldn't sign him at the end of his contract.

Seattle sent some top prospects to get him and then signed him to a contract through 2027 when he will be 35.

The Reds haul included Noelvi Marte, who is competing to take over third base this spring.  RHP Levi Stoudt, who nearly made the Mariners rotation last spring.  It would not surprise baseball people if he ends up in Cincinnati this season.  Edwin Arroyo a short stop and RHP Andrew Moore. 

Castillo made his second spring start against the Cubs.  He pitched into the third inning then left the game when he reached his pitch count.  The Cubs scored two run in the first but none over the last two. He struck out four.

"Little by little, I'm getting ready for the season," Castillo said.  "I've always built arm strength through my spring starts.  The last two outings I give it my all for the regular season."

He feels very comfortable with the new pitch clock.

"It is in front of me and I know what I want to throw," Castillo said.

Facing former battery mate Barnhart, who is fighting for a roster spot with the Cubs, was a novelty.

"I think its the first time I've faced him," Castillo said.  "We spent a lot of time together.  It was kind of funny. When he was up there, he was laughing and I was lauging.  It was fun."

Barnhart hit a slow roller right on the first base line which kicked foul when Barnhart still carrying his bat nearly tripped.  The pair exchanged comments before Barnhart grounded out.

Castillo with a young family is now financially secure.  He will make $24 million in each of the next four seasons.  Still it was difficult for him to leave the Queen City and his friends even though most of them have departed as well.

"It was a little difficult because I was there such a long time but I've said it before.  In professional baseball sometimes we're here but tomorrow we may not be," Castillo said.  

"I miss Skyline chili," he said with a laugh.























No comments:

Post a Comment