About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 25, 2022

Jonathan India, Brandon Drury Power Reds Past Marlins


Jonathan India's three hit night that included his first career grand slam and Brandon Drury's three-run home run backed the pitching of Nick Lodolo for a 11-2 win over the Miami Marlins.

"India and Drury are a big part of our success all the time but without the home runs tonight, It's a totally different game," David Bell said.  "Jon swung the bat really well tonight.  He's been trending that way and Brandon has been doing it consistently."

Young left handed pitchers battled in Great American Ball Park on Tuesday night.  Both were first round draft picks.  Trevor Rogers was the Marlins' first pick in the 2017 draft. He was runner-up to India for Rookie of the Year.  The Reds picked Nick Lodolo niumber one in the 2019 draft.


The Marlins got after Lodolo right away.  Nick Fortes singled with one out in the first inning.  He stole second and second baseman, Donovan Solano was charged with an error when Michael Papierski's throw snuck under the infielder's glove and Fortes reached third.  Avisail Garcia's two out single put the Miami up a run.

The Reds wasted early scoring chances against Rogers.  Jonathan India, who was the designated hitter while nursing a bruised quad muscle, doubled and stayed there as Rogers got the next three batters.

Kyle Farmer walked and Solano singled to open the second but Rogers squirmed out of that mess too.

Lodolo caught a break as well in the third.  Jacob Stallings singled. Miguel Rojas singled and Fortes walked to load the bases with no outs.  Lodolo struck out Jesus Aguilar.  Garcia scorched a line drive directly at Joey Votto who gloved it and flipped to Farmer to double up Rojas.

"It was big getting out of bases loaded, no outs," Lodolo said.  "I was just trying to limit damage.  I got the punchout of Aguilar.  The next guy hit is right at him.  That was big.  And I just wanted to keep going."

Lodolo settled in.  He was charged with two runs but both were unearned. The rookie allowed five hits and two walks in his career-high six innings.  Lodolo struck out nine Marlins.

"Last outing it unraveled a little bit," Lodolo said.  "I worked on just throwing down the middle and let my stuff work.  I usually get stronger as the game goes on but this was the first time I could get to this point.  I just tried filling up the strikezone, throwing every thing middle and let it play."

The Reds broke through against Rogers in the third. India singled for his second hit of the game.  Drury forced him at second.  Tommy Pham singled but Rogers struck out Votto.  Farmer came through with two outs with a ground ball single to left.  Solano doubled to the gap in left center both runners scored.  Solano was out trying to go to third on the throw.

The Marlins scored another unearned run in the fourth.  J.J. Bleday doubled.  He went to third on a throwing error by Papierski and scored on a wild pitch.

Drury followed Nick Senzel's double and India's walk with a home run on a 2-0 pitch into the left field stands. It was Drury's team-leading 19th home run of the season. 

Zach Pop relieved Rogers.

India's third hit was his first career grand slam after hits by Matt Reynolds and Papierski combined with a walk to Senzel loaded the bases.

I got a good sinker," India said.  "He was throwing hard in.  I just tried to clip it at the right angle. It's hard to hit those sinker ballers.  I tried to get my hands through as quick as possible and I got it there."

India has had numerous injuries holding him back in his sophomore season.  It has take an while to get his timing back.

"The longer you play the better you're going to get in this game. The more games I log in the more I get going.  Hopefully, that's a sign. I'm ready.  I feel good right now," India said.

As for the possibility of the Reds first cycle since Eric Davis in 1989,

He had a single, double and home run entering his last at bat in the seventh but he lined out to Jesus Sanchez in left.

"I thought about the cycle that whole at bat.  I was hoping he'd have to dive for it," India said.

Reynolds added an RBI single against Jordan Holloway in the sixth.

Former Red Billy Hamilton entered the game at second base when the Marlins brought Willians Astudillo in to pitch.  He walked Votto but finished a scoreless eighth.

Joel Kuhnel pitched two scoreless innings and Dauri Moreta pitched the ninth.


No comments:

Post a Comment