About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 3, 2022

Washington Nationals and Reds Wear "Enough" T-Shits To Stop Gun Violence.



Washington Nationals manager and former Reds' player Dave Martinez was emotional in his pre-game meeting with the media

He and the Nationals' players are wearing t-shirts underneath their uniforms with orange lettering that say ENOUGH.  The Nationals are joining five other D.C. sports teams fortional Gun Violence Awareness Day.

The group of professional sports teams in using thier voices for common sense gun laws and donating money to a non-profit called Everytown.

"We have to do better for our kids, grandkids family members and friends," Martinez said.  "It's tough reading about these things.  It hits me and other people where it should."

"We think it is important to start speaking up.  We have one of the highest gun violence crime rates in D.C.  We have to do better."

This movement is growing faster than right wing, defenses of out dated, permissive gun laws are. The call for meaningful gun control or gun safety or whatever euphemism you want to use, are getting louder.  These voices are starting to drown out the NRA and right wing agenda that is promoting nothing but violent death.

Martinez was filled with emotion when he went beyond the details of this organized protest.

"One thing I want to say to the victims, to their families.  I'm sorry," said Martinez said with a halting breath with tears forming in his eyes.  I'm sorry we have to do this today.  Let's not let it happen again.  Let's do better."

When the emotion subsided and reason returned to Martinez.  His tone got sturdy.

"I've got kids.  I've got grandkids.  You feel for the people, who have to go through these things," Martinez said.  "You also think about the future of our country.  For me it's all about change.  It's all about common sense.  Let's do things right.  I often talk about you need to be 25-years old to rent a car. But you can walk in anywhere at 18-years old and buy an AR rifle.  Let's start using common sense."



No comments:

Post a Comment