About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 28, 2022

Reds Extend Winning Streak To Four Games On Kyle Farmer's Home Run

 

 

 

Kyle Farmee impressed his grand mother and his teammates with his third home run since returning from the grip of general soreness.  He hit a three-run home run off former Reds and Dodgers teammate Alex Wood to propel the Reds to a 3-2 win over the San Francisco Giants. 

'Honestly, it was kind of surreal facing one of your best friends," Farmer said.  "I was more nervous before the game than i've been before.  I just wanted to have fun with it.  It felt weird but it was so cool." 

Wood and Farmer both went to the University of Georgia.  They both played with the Los Angeles Dodgers and were traded to the Reds together before the 2019 season.

"I knew he was going to take it seriously.  There was no eye contact absolutely not. He's my best friend.  He's a left handed pitcher.  I do well against left handed pitchers.  I took the same approach.  I had one at bat against him in spring training.  I caught him a lot but never faced him."

It was Farmer's fourth home run of the season and third since returning to the lineup.

Brandon Drury singled and Tyler Stephenson walked to allow them to greet Farmer at home plate after his drive landed in the left field stands in the first inning.

Vladimir Gutierrez made his second start since he was told he would be working out of the bullpen.  He was an emergency starter for injured Connor Overton on Monday.  He took his sixth loss without a win in the Cubs 7-4 win.  David Bell held off on announcing him as the starter for this game until the night before.

"We've been working so hard this year to get good results. Working on my pitches this week, locating my pitches and using pitches that I have confidence in all came true today. I wasn't thinking of my six losses," Gutierrez said.

The Cuban born right hander allowed a run on six hits in five innings.

"Gutierrez was really good," Bell said.  "He located his fastball well.  It was a big step for Guti today."

Alexis Diaz pitched a perfect seventh with two stirkeouts

Wood retired 13 straight Reds' batters between Matt Reynolds infield single and Joey Votto's two-out single in the sixth.  The hit sent Wood to the showers and Dominic Leon came in to deal with Farmer.  Leon fanned Farmer.

The Giants cut the lead with a run in the third.  Mike Yastrzemski doubled to open the inning.  One out later Joc Pederson hit an RBI double.

Luis Cessa relieved Gutierrez and gave up Evan Longoria's third home run of the season to make it a 3-2 game.

Ross Detwiler, the travelded veteran, made his first appearance since returning from the bereavement list. He gave up singles to Brandon Crawford and Luis Gonzalez.  Tony Santillan came on and retired Thairo Estrada on a ground ball to Farmer.

Santillan continued in the ninth.  He gave up a lead off single to Curt Casali but struck out Tommy La Stella.  Yastrzemski walked to put the go ahead run on base.  Santillan struck out Darrin Ruff for the second out.  Pederson singled to right but Aristedes Aquino threw out pinch runner, Joey Bart easily at home plate.  

Santillan got credit for his third save.

"To win it with your defense, the way our guys work at that its a great way to win a game.," Bell said.  "Tony came in a tough spot to get the last four outs in the game.  He deserved to get out of that. He was throwing the ball really well."

'"Aquino saved several runs either with his throws but to keep your focus on that play wit h Nick, knowing there is going to be contact. He"'s won games with his defense not only throwing runners out but to see coaches hesitate to send runners by his reputation," Bell said. "Being a former third base coach, you have to send him with two outs. That kind of hit, everything has to go right for the outfielder to field it cleanly and make not only a strong throw but an accurate throw.  The catcher's got to pick it.  You have to go for it but we knew it was coming when he got a good hop.'

Santillan had a nice view of the throw.

"It was a good feeling seeing the ball in Aquino's hands," Santillan said.  "He has one of the best arms in baseball.  That was my best chance there.  I saw the throw.  I was behind home plate. When it got half way, I knew it was going to be perfectly on the money.  Unless Stephie went blind the guy was going to be out."

"He was barely around third.  It was hit really hard,  Luckily it was right at him.  He got to it quickly."

Aquino visualized the play before it happened.

"I wanted them to run on me," said Aquino, who forced Longoria to hold third on a single in the second inning.   " I had the opportunity and the confidence to make an out. It is always fun when you run hard to the ball and make an out."

"When I'm on the field, I always anticipate where the ball is going to be hit.  If it is hit here, I do that."








No comments:

Post a Comment