About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Joey Votto Homers And Drives In Three Runs In Reds Win

 


 

Joey Votto tooki control of the game for the Reds with his second home run and a two-run triple. The Reds used the surge to beat the Chicago Cubs, 4-3.

"I'm in the lineup.  I have to do my job," Votto said.  "We all have the responsibility to play well for one another.  Tonight it was my turn among others."

Luis Castillo started for the Reds and struggled through a tw-run first inning scarred by former University of Cincinnati slugger, Ian Happ.  Happ hit a double with Christopher Morel on base with a walk and Seiya Suzuki, who singled.

"We battled in the first inning," Castillo said.  "We didn't lose focus.  I talked to the pitching coach in between innings and it paid off.  The game dictates what pitches you throw.  I saw some things that weren't working in the first inning. I had to change."

Votto led off the second inning against Kyle Hendricks with a line drive home run to right, his second round tripper of the season, both this week.  

"That's what's great about baseball," David Bell said.  "They beat us the last two nights. It could mean even more to us.  You compete for nine innings.  Every team is good."

Aramis Garcia and Matt Reynolds hit singles to open the third but Hendricks retired Tyler Naquin and Brandon Drury, who forced Reynolds at second.  Tommy Pham delivered a run scoring single in front of Votto's triple inside the first base bag and down the right field line.

Castillo finished five innings with the last foru being scoreless.  He gave up four hits to pick up the win.

"Luis made some nice adjustments.  He used all four pitches.  It was similar to last night when (Marcus) Strohman gave up runs then settled in," David Bell said.

Tony Santillan, Alexis Diaz, Art Warren held the lead until the ninth.

Hunter Strickland retired Frank Schwindel on a line out to center.  Strickland hit Patrick Wisdom with a pitch that go Cubs manager David Ross ejected.  Strickland walked Alfonso Rivas.  Pinch hitter Willson Contreras lined out deep to center.  Nick Senzel made the catch against the fence.  Andrelton Simmons lined a run scoring single to right.  With the tying run on third and the potential go ahead run on first, Strickland eaarned the save by stiking ou Morel swinging.

The routine game got testy in the last inning of play.

Cubs' pticher Rowan Wick.and Votto exchanged words.  Votto ducked a pitch close to him as he was drawing a walk in the bottom of the eighth. 

"Wick had something to say and I answered," Votto said  "That's the way ball is sometimes.  Yoiu're competitive.  Clearly he was locked in and trying to compete and I'm pulling on the other end of the same rope.  If someone says something to me. Sometimes I don;t answer but I wasn't in the mood to keep my mouth shut.  It's part of the game.  It can be one of the more enjoyable parts of the game, competing some talk.  I really enjoy that part of the game.  Sometimes it can be over extended and taken too far but generally speaking, I enjoy that part.  As long as the party is fine with taking it.  If someone says something to me, no problem, I'll fucking give it back."

Votto bristled at the suggestion that Strickland hit Wisdom to protect his teammate.

"No you don't put the tying run at the plate with one out.  That was absolutely unintentional.  We are trying to win a baseball game.  Our closer is coming in and he just misfires the ball.  We don't get paid for retribution.  We get paid to complete games and perform well.  The idea that he did that on purpose in the ninth inning with two runs. What?  People have every right to think what they think but it couldn't have been less intentional."








No comments:

Post a Comment