About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Jonathan India's Encore, The All-Star Team Helps Reds Overpower San Francisco

 

 

 

 

What does Jonathan India do for an encore?

He wants to be the All-Star second baseman.

"I don't consider myself established yet.  I want to improve as a player,"  India said before leading the Cactus League game against the San Francisco Giants with a home run.  "I have one year under my belt.  I still have to prove myself.  All I can do is get better at my game."

One of the facets or the game, he'd ;like to improve is base stealing as well as being more consistent at the plate.  Last season India was hitting .353 on April 13 but dipped to .208 a month later.  India built his average back to a high of .287 but finished with a .269 batting average.  To put that in perspective, Pete Rose finished his 1963 rookie season with a .269 average.

India stole 12 bases in 14 attempts last year.  He wants to run more.

"I want to be more consistent at the plate and improve my stolen bases," India said.  "I just need to work and get better every day.  I will pick a routine and stick to it."

The 25-year old from Florida, reached base three times against the Giants.  He walked and singled in three plate appearances.  He was thrown out at second base and charged with a caught stealing.  It was not a straight steal however.  India took off for second when catcher, Patrick Bailey dropped a pitch.

For the second straight day the Reds clobbered the opposing left handed pitcher.  It was Sam Long this time.

Nick Senzel and Max Schrock tripled in front of Aristedes Aquino's long home run.  Joey Votto doubled India home later in the inning.  Chris Okey, a catcher vying for the backup job, hit a three-run home run in the seventh inning to seal a 9-4 Cincinnati victory.

"It was nice to see Okey hit that," manager David Bell said.  "He's been here every year.  He looks better every year. That was fun to watch. 

Tony Santillan worked two scoreless innings.  Santillan pitched well last season in spite of a tender right ankle that prevented him from pushing off the rubber as he would have liked.  The right hander who could win a starting role or could work multiple innings out of the bullpen, had surgery on the ankle this winter and deemed in 100 percent now.

"I feel as good as I can feel right now," Santillan said.  "I came in ready to go.  It was bothering since late May, early June. It wasn't going to stop me from throwing. They told me to be ready to start.  It is easier to build up.  I will be ready for whatever they need me to do."

Santillan allowed a hit and a walk and fanned three.

"He looked just like he did at the end of the season," Bell said.  "He was real aggressive and attacking with all his pitches.  He looks healthy, no issues with his ankle."

Senzeil, penciled in at center field is off to a fast start.

"He looks healthy, too," Bell said.  "We will get him some at bats in minor league games just because he didn't have many at bats last year."






No comments:

Post a Comment