About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 29, 2021

Reds 2021 Roster Close To Completion

  


The Reds are flying home after their final Cactus League contest with the Seattle Mariners with some new players on the roster.

The Reds selected the contract of Cam Bedrosian, the son of former Atlanta Braves reliever Steve Bedrosian.  Another first round pick in the Major League draft on the Reds' roster, Bedrosian pitched seven seasons with the Los Angeles Angels.  He signed with the Reds on February 16.

"It was really different knowing that I had to earn a job and deal with the uncertainty," Bedrosian said.

The Reds also selected the contract of Tyler Naquin, the former first round pick of the Cleveland Indians.  While Naquin made the ball club as a non-roster player, infielder Mike Freeman and Heath Hembree were reassigned to the Reds' minor league camp.  Former Arizona Diamonback right-handed pitcher, Braden Shipley was also reassigned.

Naquin, who will play all the outfield positions and is a competent center fielder, was selected by Cleveland out of Texas A&M in the first round in 2012.  He broke in with Cleveland in 2016.

The left-handed batter hit .296 for the Indians in his rookie year, helping the team to the World Series.  He hit 14 of his 31 career home runs that season.  His remaining four year stint was marred by a series of injuries. He has been totally healthy this spring.

The Reds signed Naquin on February 18.

"It was a good conversation with David (Bell)," said Naquin who belted three home runs this spring.  "The power has always been there as long as I'm healthy.  The last time I went into a season healthy was 2016."

Sal Romano was called into Derek Johnson's office after a 'B' game appearance and told by Nick Krall and Johnson, who told him he made the team.

"it was my second time to be chosen for the Opening Day roster.  I was part of the parade in 2018," Romano said.  "I'm really excited to be with these guys after what I've been through the last few years.  I don't think I'm the same pitcher I used to be.  I have more confidence and came here to show that I belong in the big leagues."





















No comments:

Post a Comment