About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, July 4, 2019

Luis Castillo's All-Star Performance Skunks Brewers



Luis Castillo started for the Reds against the National League Central Division leading Milwaukee Brewers.  His next turn with the normal four days rest would be Tuesday, which happens to be the night of the All-Star game in Cleveland.  As a member of the NL squad, Castillo would be in line to start the game.

Castillo was brilliant in protecting a one-run lead and shutting down a potent Brewers lineup in a 1-0 win.

The All-Star game is next on his mind after a stunning pitching performance.

"I think it would be a neat experience for me," Castillo said through interpreter Julio Morillo.  "If they give me the opportunity to start the All-Star game it will be something I'd never forget."

Jessee Winker, who had three hits and scored the only run.

"Castillo got better as the game went on.  He just dominated today.  I peaked up in the fifth inning and said to myself, oh boy, the no-no is coming," Winker said.  "It has been a treat playing behind all these guys. If he got the start in the All-Star game it would be incredible.  I hope he does get the ball because he deserves it.  I think the world's going to see Luis Castillo and it will be a treat."

The Reds got a quick start as they scored a run in the first.  It was the 71st run scored in the first inning, the most by any team in that particular inning. Winker greeted Milwaukee starter Brandon Woodruff with a line double to right center.   Joey Votto singled with Winker stopping at third.  Eugenio Suarez struck out but Yasiel Puig's infield hit scored Winker.  Derek Dietrich hit a hard single to right to load the bases but Nick Senzel hit into a 5-4-3 double play.

Castillo pitched like the All-Star starter.  He hit two batters but allowed nothing else until Keston Hiura hit a clean single one out into the seventh.

"I wasn't thinking of the no hitter," Castillo said.  "When the got the hit in the seventh the crowd started cheering and I looked around and though oh its the first hit."

Rain forced a delay with two out and bases empty in the top of the eighth. Pinch hitter Jesus Aguilar had a two ball, no strike count.   David Hernandez replaced Castillo after a 69 minute rain delay.  Hernandez walked Aguilar on a 3-2 pitch.  It was the only walk issued by Castillo.  Hernandez struck out Yasmani Grandall to send the game to the ninth inning.

"Castillo was clearly the story today," David Bell said. "He was outstanding.  He was close to the end of his day when the rain came.  It would have been nice for him to finish that inning."

The 26-year old right-hander wanted to go back out to finish the game.

"I asked David how long the rain would take," Castillo. "He told me a little longer than he expected so he told me that I did a really good job today."

Castillo pitched 7-2/3 scoreless innings allowing a hit and a walk with nine strikeouts.  He hit two batters.  He faced the Brewers on May 22 and June 22.  In those two games Castillo surrendered 10 runs in 6-1/3 innings to the Brewers.  He studied and made adjustments.

""They hit me well a couple times when I faced them," Castillo said.  "I made some adjustments in the bullpen and in the game. I watched the video or the last two outings. started to pitch backward the opposite way I worked in my last two outings."

"This was the best outing not only of the season but of my career," Castillo said.

Raisel Iglesias took the mound in the ninth, needing to protect the one-run lead against elite NL hitter, Christian Yelich, Mike Moustakas and Keston Hiura.  Yelich hit a 3-2 pitch for a double to open the inning.  Moustakas fouled out to Phil Ervin in left, who made a fantastic catch into the stands after a long run.  Earlier this week after a similar run a fan interfered with him trying to catch the ball.

"I felt it hit my club.  I was hoping it would stay up and tried to spin off the wall," Ervin said.  "I knew Yelich was at second.  I didn't want to go into the stands and give him time to go to third. I don't think he thought I was going to catch it.  This one was harder than other play.  This was harder because I had to go into the stands a little more.  The other one the fan came out to the field with it.  I feel like I was going to make both of them."

Bell, as low key as he is, stressed the importance of the play beyond the out.

"That was a tough play for Ervin to make.  To be I don't want to say reckless but aggressive, that was a huge play for us. It shows how much he wants to win," Bell said.  "A play like that can give the pitcher an extra boost to finish the game."


Hiura grounded out to second as Yelich moved to third.  Eric Thames was the last man standing between the Reds and victory.  Thames flied out high to right.  Iglesias earned his 16th save in 18 tries.

Reds pitching shut out the Brewers in the last 23 innings of the series and moved within 3-1/2 games of first place by taking three of the four games.

"I don't know what to say about our pitching," Bell said. "They are doing everything they can.  To limit the scoring like they did in the last three games of the series shows so much about their preparation and hard work.  They continue to develop as a staff."

As for closing in on the top of the division.

"Sure we watch the standings," Bell said.  "The only statistic that matters is where you are in the standings but we can't get ahead of ourselves.  We have to keep focusing on what we have to do each day and stay in the moment."




No comments:

Post a Comment