About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Tanner Roark Faces Friends At GABP


Tanner Roark is expecting just a backyard game among friends, except it will be played in front of thousands and have monetary significance.

Roark spent 8-1/2 years in the Washington organization before reaching the Major Leagues for good in 2013.  Last December the Reds traded prospect Tanner Rainey for Roark.  The Reds needed competitive starting pitching.  Although he isn't the biggest pitching name, he has shown to be an innings eater, who will battle until the last out.

Last week he argued with David Bell to stay in a game longer.  He lost the argument and was not happy about it.

"I love that," Bell said.  "I want a pitcher who wants to compete and never wants to come out of the game."

At the time Bell opted to generate offense by hitting for Roark but the 32-year old will be left to compete against anyone, including the team full of friends that he will face on Saturday.

'It is going to be weird," Roark said.  "I will see some guys out there and say hello.  Eye contact, yes I'm going to make eye contact.  It will be like a backyard game against friends.  I don't know whether it will be a distraction or not.  Stayed tuned."

Thursday both teams had the night off and Roark attended the Dierks Bentley concert at Riverbend with Tucker Barnhart, Kyle Farmer and Curt Casali.  Washington players, Brian Dozier, Anthony Rendon, Steven Strasburg and Trea Tuner were there with back stage passes.

"They texted me and wanted me to come back stage.  I said naw these are my teammates now," Roark said.

Roark will oppose right-hander Erick Fedde the Nationals first round pick in the 2014 draft.  Fedde,26, will make his third start of the season.  In his last two starts against the New York Mets and the Miami Marlins, Fedde has allowed one run in 10 innings, picking up a 9-6 win against the Marlins with five scoreless innings.

Roark won three of his five starts in May.









No comments:

Post a Comment