About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Back-To-Back Home Runs Spoil Dodgers Shutout But Reds Lose Two Of Three



Cody Bellinger and Hyun-Jin Ryu are at the top of their game.  The pair put the Reds away in a 8-3 triumph making the most of their six hits, while the Reds got nothing from their six hits.

The Reds were trying to get withing three games of .500 for the third time, since starting the season at 1-8.  The Dodgers took the season series five games to one, denying the Reds a chance to get closer to even..  Home runs by Jose Peraza and Derek Dietrich off Yimi Garcia prevented the third game to end in a shutout.s

Tanner Roark started for the Reds.  He has allowed three or fewer runs in eight of his nine starts coming into the series deciding game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Dodgers got two runs off Roark. Two walks haunted the right-hander.  Corey Seager walked in the second inning and scored from first base on a double by Alex Verdugo.   Joc Pederson walked in the third inning.  He scored from third after a single by Max Muncy sent him to third.  A line drive toward second baseman Jose Peraza got through to the outfield after Peraza got a glove on it.   It was ruled an error, then changed to a fielders choice that gave Turner credit for an RBI.

The Reds scattered five singles off Dodgers' starter Hyun-Jin Ryo.  Nick Senzel had two singles, Jesse Winker, Jose Iglesias and Phil Ervin had one each.

In Ryu's last five starts coming in he allowed three earned runs in 32 innings with no runs allowed in his last two starts coming in he pitched a complete game shutout against Atlanta and an eight inning whitewash of Washington.

Ryu stayed on a roll.  The Reds were scoreless through six innings.

The Reds escaped a sixth inning jam when Yasiel Puig slammed into the wall in foul territory down the right field line to turn a foul ball into an inning ending out.  The Reds had just walked Russell Martin to load the bases.

Puig took his at bat the next inning but the right shoulder tightened up on him enough to leave the game.

"I catch the ball," Puig said.  "I felt a little bit tight.  I take that AB after that I told them I don't feel good.  My elbow I hit on the concrete but I feel good about that. I will see how I feel tomorrow and have a shot or something.  I will see how it feels Tuesday before the game."

Michael Lorenzen picked up for Zach Duke, who relieved Roark after the starter was removed for a pinch hitter.

Duke walked two batters around a fly out.  Lorenzen finished the inning with Puig's catch.  Joc Pederson led off the seventh with a single off Lorenzen, who struck out Max Muncy and Turner.  Bell brought Wandy Peralta in to pitch to Cody Bellinger

The leading National League hitter, Bellinger, expanded the Dodgers' lead with a two run home run, his 17th off Wandy Peralta, who ended the game specifically to get Belthe first linger out.  Bellinger hit the first pitch just beyond the reach of Senzel in center field.

"The bullpen has done a such a good job.  That's going to happen," Bell said. "The game came down to one hit.  The Bellinger home run.was the difference in the game.  It changed everything."

Veteran Russell Martin hit his second home run of the season with two outs in the eighth off Peralta.  Kyle Garlick made his Major League debut batting for Ryu, flying out to left field.  Ryu has not allowed a run in 31 innings.

Caleb Ferguson and Yimi Garcia took care of the Reds in the eighth.

Robert Stephenson walked three batters in the ninth, all of them scored.  He walked the bases loaded, struck out Bellinger and Corey Seagar but Verdugo doubled to give him three RBI on the game.

Roark was upset about coming out of the game for a pinch hitter.

"Tanner didn't want to come out of the game," Bell said.  "He never does.  I love that about him.  I explained to him that we needed to get some offense going.  I knew he could go out there and give us a good inning.  He also told me that he can handle the bat and he can but we had to score to get back in the game."

Roark argued his case about remaining in the game with Bell but lost the debate.

"I felt good all day.  I didn't want to come out of the game.  They had a different plan so, you can't be happy all the time, on to the next one. There were two pitches I didn't locate well and the both got hit.  They scored two runs.  Walks always hurt."

The move was explained to Roark, who reluctantly accepted Bell's decision.
 
'Their thought process was to try and score some runs," Roark said. Ervin took my place and got a hit.  I want to stay out there and throw as many pitches as they want me to throw.  I respect that."



No comments:

Post a Comment