About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Orlando Arcia's First Hit Makes Jhoulys Chacin A Winner



Orlando Arcia was hitless in 16 at bats when he stepped in the batters box to face Michael Lorenzen with two outs and runners on second and third in a 1-1 game .

Arcia got his first hit of the season with a fly ball home run just out of leaping distance of  Reds' right fielder Yasiel Puig.  Suddenly,  Arcia had his first hit of the year and three RBI to boot in the Milwaukee Brewers' 4-3 win over the Reds.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"He'll perform," Brewers' manager Craig Counsell predicted before the game.  "It has just been four games.  We all want to get our first one out of the way."

Michael Lorenzen was ready to pitch to Arcia, with first base open and the pitcher Jhoulys Chacin on deck.  All he needed was one out.

"We had Michael ready," David Bell said.  They had Ryan Braun and Eric Thames on the bench.  We had to go after Arcia there."

Lorenzen had to make a pitch in that situation and get Zach Duke out of the inning.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

"It was a terrible pitch," Lorenzen said.  "It was a cutter that was supposed to be away to make him chase.  I didn't execute it.  He's a guy who swings a ton.  I needed to make him get himself out.  There was a base open, I didn't have to throw him a strike.  We scored two runs after that.  I only had to get one guy.  If I do my job we win tonight.  That is on me."

Until Arcia hit the first home run of the series between these to slugging teams, Anthony DeSclafani and Jhoulys Chacin were engaged in a pitching duel.  A healthy DeSclafani gave up one run on three hits and three walks in five innings.   Chacin pitched a third of an inning more, allowing two runs, also on three hits and three walks.

DeSclafani got to pitch in April for the first time in three years.  He started the last three seasons on the injured list (disabled list).

"I was definitely satisfied," said DeSclafani who struck out eight by mixing in the curve ball that he worked on this spring.  "It is something that's a big change of speed for me.  I feel like I could have pitched a lot more.  I go until the ball is taken from me.  I'm glad I got to take the ball the first week of the season instead of waiting two to three months."

The Brewers scored first in the third inning.  Lorenzo Cain walked and stole second base.  Travis Shaw walked before Jesus Aguilar sing;e to score Cain.

http://donatelifeohio.org/

Chacin retired the first 10 Reds' batters in order.  Joey Votto walked.  Puig singled up the middle and Votto advanced to third.  Eugenio Suarez drilled a hot smash past Shaw at third for a run scoring double.

Arcia's home run off Lorenzen put the Brewers in control.

The Reds got closer against Chacin in the sixth.  Votto walked again.  Puig singled again.  Suarez walked to load the bases.  Scott Schebler hit a slow roller to Aguilar at first, who only had one play.  He tapped first base as Votto scored.

Suarez homered in the eighth inning against Junior Guerra to make it 4-3.

Josh Hader walked Jose Iglesias to start the ninth but Tucker Barnhart struck out swinging after two failed bunt attempts.  Jose Peraza struck out.  Kyle Farmer the last player on the bench pinch hit for Robert Stephenson.  Farmer popped foul to the shortstop to give the Brewers its fifth win in six games.  The Reds lost for the third straight game.

"You can't say enough about our pitching," Bell said.  "It was just one pitch off Michael aside from that our pitching's been really good.  Anthony looked really good, just like he did in spring training.  We're happy to have him.  We are confident in our guys.  It is going to happen."






No comments:

Post a Comment