About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 22, 2019

Scooter Gennett Injured In Reds Loss








Reds second baseman Scooter Gennett was helped off the field in the second inning of the game with the Milwaukee Brewers, a 6-4 Reds' loss.

Gennett dived for a ball hit between him and first baseman Joey Votto.  He knocked the ball down and completed the putout with a short toss to pitcher Robert Stephenson.  Reds' trainers were called to attend to him.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds took him to get an MRI.

http://donatelifeohio.org/

“I don't know exactly whether it happened when he fell or when he threw.  I didn't ask him,” David Bell said.  “I'm obviously concerned.  He's a big part of our team.  We're hoping for the best right now.”

Stephenson was an eye witness to the injury.

"It was tough to see," Stephenson said.  "It looked like he kind of rolled weird."

Gennett, who signed a one-year contact with the Reds in January to avoid arbitration, has been openly seeking a contract extension.

The Reds sent infielders Blake Trahan and Kyle Farmer to minor league camp.  They are going to keep non-roster infielders Derek Dietrich and Jose Iglesias, though they haven't formerly added them to the 40-man roster.

The Reds scored four runs in the first two innings but couldn't hold on.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

Joey Votto walked and Matt Kemp and Eugenio Suarez hit consecutive singles to load the bases.  Yasiel Puig hit a sacrifice fly to center field.  Jose Peraza delivered two runs with a single.

The Reds added a run against Zach Davies in the next inning.  Jose Siri singled and scored on an error by right fielder Eric Thames.

Robert Stephenson, who is out of options and trying to earn a place in the bullpen, pitched two innings.  It was his second Cactus League appearance after being shelved with shoulder soreness at the beginning of camp.  He turned in a two-inning scoreless outing.

"Robert was really good," Bell said.  "It was back-to-back outings for a fresh set of eyes that hasn't seen him a whole lot, he looked pretty good.  I thought he was better his second inning.  It was really good to see."

"I don't think my off speed was as sharp as it was the other day," Stephenson said.  "I thought my fastball was really good.  I'm happy about that."

Stephenson had a sore shoulder at the end of last season.  It was the same pain he had in camp, feeling it again just before he arrived in Goodyear.

"With the injury, I wanted to take it slow and give myself the best chance to make this team," Stephenson said.  "I'm happy about the progression I've made compared to previous springs.  I wanted to make it as tough as a decision as possible for the team.  I feel like I did that."

Michael Lorenzen gave up a run on two hits.  Tyler Saladino and Lucas Erceg singled to put runners on first and third.  He got Davies to hit into a double play.  Zach Duke allowed a run in 2/3 inning.  Duke put two runners on, walking Jesus Aguilar and giving a single up to Yasmani Grandol.  Orlando Arcia forced Aguilar at third.  David Hernandez relieved Duke and gave up  a run-scoring single.

Amir Garrett pitched a scoreless frame.  Minor league Wyatt Strahan and Alex Powers gave up four runs in the sixth and seventh.

The Reds also sent top prospect Nick Senzel to minor league camp.  Senzel is learning to play center field in a crowded outfield that features Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig, Jesse Winker and Scott Schebler.

RHP Sal Ramono, RHP Lucas Sims, LHP Ian Krol, LHP Cody Reed, OF Phillip Ervin and catcher Juan Graterol were also reassigned.  The Reds are down to 30 players in camp with two days left.

The Reds first round pick from the last draft, Jonathan India made his first appearance as a designated hitter.  He was 0-for-4 and struck out twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment