About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 14, 2019

One Way To Break A Losing Habit----Tie





The Reds have lost 90 or more games in each of the last four seasons.  This spring, they stopped losing as they played the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 3-3 tie, the fourth time this spring the Reds and their opponents had equal run totals.

Sonny Gray pitched three perfect innings, shaking off an early camp ailment to put himself in line to make the Opening Day start.

He is inline but manager David Bell is not quite ready to anoint Gray as the starter even though if you count the days until March 28 when the Reds are scheduled to meet the Pittsburgh Pirates at Great American Ball Park.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"Gray looked really good.  He felt good coming out of the game," Bell said. "I'm not ready to say that (he will start opening day).  Only because we haven't really determined that.  There is going to be other factors that come into play.  I know we're getting close. Soon we need to make that decision."

Gray took his perfect game into the bullpen to throw 18 more pitches to build his arm strength.

"I felt good.  I attacked the zone, threw strikes and tried to force contact," Gray said.  "That's all I'm trying to do.  I'll be good to go whenever my name is called for the start of the season. My whole focus the last two weeks is to get healthy, get on the mound and get into games."

The Reds scored two runs in the first off Hyun-Jin Ryu.  Scott Schebler, Yasiel Puig and Scooter Gennett singled.  Jesse Winker hit a ball deep into the hole at short where, Jeter Downs, who was in the trade with the Dodgers over the winter turned it into a force at third, allowing Schebler to score.

Former Dodger Jose Peraza singled to score Puig.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

Puig asked to play this game and the game tomorrow night when the Dodgers play in a sold out game at Goodyear Ball Park.

"I'm with my new team coming to face my old team.  Every body knew there would be a lot of fans here," Puig said.  "I like the way they cheered my name when I came out on the field and the time I hit for the first time.  I'm so happy to hear that.  I want to say thank you."

Puig circled April 15 when the Reds play in Los Angeles on his calendar.

"I want to play today and tomorrow, not only in front of the Los Angeles fans but to get ready for the season with my new team," Puig said.

http://donatelifeohio.org/

Michael Lorenzen allowed two runs in the first of two innings he pitched. He pitched a second inning then went to center field where he finished the game.  He struck out and walked in two at bats.

"Lorenzen was better that second inning.  He has been pitching well all spring," Bell said.  "I know he struck out but he had two good at bats.  We plan to get him 10 more innings in center and at least 10 at bats."

Phil Ervin hit his fourth spring home run.  This one was off Scott Alexander.  Ervin fighting to survive the glut of outfielders in camp, is hitting .345 this spring.

Zach Duke, allowed the tying run in the sixth,  In five appearances, Duke has allowed two runs in five innings.

Wandy Peralta saved the tie.  The first two Dodgers, reached base.  Zach Reks walked and Downs got his second hit a single.  Connor Wong hit a smash to third.  Kyle Farmer dived to field the ball, stepped on third and fired to Connor Joe at first, who scooped the ball out of the dirt.  Peralta struck out Carlos Rincon swinging to end the game.





No comments:

Post a Comment