About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Michael Lorenzen The All American Boy Does It All For The Reds



The Reds have never had a two-way player in the mold of Shohei Ohtani but Michael Lorenzen is giving it a try.

The plan going into the game with the Cleveland Indians on Monday was to have Lorenzen pitch an inning then move to the center field for two innings, or two at bats.  He did it all in the 5-5 tie with the Cleveland Indians.
Lorenzen stuck out two in a hitless fifth inning. Instead of heading off to ice his shoulder, he looked for his batting helmet. He was due up third in the inning, facing Mike Clevinger. Lorenzen struck out then trotted to center field. He started to shade the first batter, Jose Ramirez toward right field but moved off the spot. The ball found him. He had to cut off the double by Ramirez deep in the gap.

Amir Garrett replaced him on the mound as the Reds gave up the designated hitter. Garrett was placed in the ninth spot in the batting order.

“The game knows,” Lorenzen said. “It was funny because I was actually shaded to right center. I ended up moving into left center. That pitch was hit to right center and I was kicking myself in the rear end because I could have had a chance if I was shaded over there. It was fun. I didn't necessarily get any fly balls but I had a couple hit to me. Hopefully next time I get to run one down.”

Then came meetings between innings with the coaching staff. He talked to outfield coach Jeff Pickler. He talked pitching a little bit with new pitching coach Derek Johnson.

ht[[s://amazon.com/
With a runner on Eric Stamets on first in the seventh, Oscar Mercado singled to center. Lore fielded the ball and threw to third base. Stamets was safe easily and Mercado took second“I knew I just pitched, so I wasn't going to gun him. I was in between there I'd rather error on the side of over doing it, that's my personality. I tried to throw it through the cut,” Lorenzen said.

The Reds plan to have Lorenzen pitch an inning and stay in to play center a couple more times this spring. There will be games that Lorenzen plays center and doesn't pitch..

“It was a great day. Number one he pitched a great inning,” Bell said. “No fly balls but he made some good throws. Overall, he had the experience of pitching and staying in the game. That's what we all wanted to see. It is just different. It is all new to use. I've never been close to a pitcher who can do these things. Part of it is trying to figure out the coaching.”

Lorenzen has been taking extra batting practice and working in the outfield, chasing fly balls. Those workouts substituted for the running the other pitchers do to condition.

“My timing is a little off at the plate. I'm a little late on the fastball and a little early on the breaking ball,” Lorenzen said. “I'm seeing the ball well. I'm seeing the breaking ball and change out of the hand so I'm going to be in a good spot when the gap in my timing narrows.”

Lorenzen was accustomed to it at Cal State Fullerton, where he played center and sometimes closed games. The Reds drafted him as a pitcher in 2013. He has lobbied for a dual role in the major leagues.

"Just pitching doesn't seem natural to me," Lorenzen said. “Fielding in center field is my best thing I do on a baseball field.

The Reds' new coaching staff developed a plan early. Outfield practice substituted for some conditioning. Working in the outfield subbed for pitcher's fielding practice.David Bell and his coaching staff has planned for this day since the pitchers and catchers reported on

February 12th. Lorenzen has been getting his regular throwing in because he will be in the Reds' bullpen this season.



“We put together a plan for the whole spring, knowing that we adjust it at anytime. He was part of the planning. We talked about focusing on pitching. We're going to build him up,” Bell said at the beginning of camp. “On days we've identified, as good day based on his pitching build up, we'll focus more on getting more work in the outfield.

All of the coaches, trainer Steve Bauman, strength coacn Sean Maron were involved in the planning.

Lorenzen is one of the best conditioned athletes in the Reds camp. He is among the fastest Reds players and proved last season that he can hit. He had 31 at bats last season, 14 as a pinch hitter. He hit four home runs, two as a pinch hitter, one of which was a grand slam.

Yasiel Puig hit his second home run this spring, coming off Indians ace Corey Kluber.  Matt Kemp hit his third home run with a man on off Mike Clevinger.  Scooter Gennett got credit for an two-run double that scored Nick Senzel and Jose Iglesias. with a ground ball that hit third base and bounded over the head of Jose Ramirez.


Anthony DeSclafani pitched 3 1/3 inning allowing one run on a home run to Ryan Flaherty.

http://donatelifeohio.org/


"I got a lot of work in on my curveball," DeSclafani said.  "I wanted to get a little more action on it. I have to keep throwing it."




Proof Reading





No comments:

Post a Comment