About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Nick Senzel A Sensation In Reds Win






Nick Senzel had three hits and got more action in center field in the Reds' 11-4 win over the Chicago White Sox.

Senzel is changing positions.  The Reds are experimenting with him in center field to give him a path to the Major Leagues.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"It was a really good day for him.  There was a lot of good things, good defense, pitching.  It was great to see Nick have a good day and get more and more comfortable," David Bell said.  "He made some good plays.  It looked like he had good breaks and routes to the ball.  Even on the home run (by Jon Jay) if it stayed in the park.  It looked like he had a good route as far as we could tell."

The Reds put Jesus Reyes on the ropes in the first inning.  His manager Rich Renteria had to rescue him.  He didn't finish the inning.

Scott Schebler doubled to start the game.  Joey Votto, batting second hit a line single to score Schebler.  Eugenio Suarez singled to move Votto to third.  Yasiel Puig singled to score Votto.

Tanner Roark started for the Reds, his second of the spring.  Yonder Alonso hit a home run the opposite way to left-field.  Roark pitched 1 1/3 innings, allowing two hits and a walk.  He struck out two.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

"I could have more efficient in the first," Roark said.  "I used all my pitches to every body.  It felt good to get that done.  My bread and butter is my arm side sinker.  If I get that down, the hitters have to respect it."

Roark threw it well today and when its not there it isn't a major concern.

"When you're struggling, you're struggling," Roark said.  "The ultimate thing is you can't let them know that you're struggling.  You keep that poker face on, like, I meant to throw that pitch."


The Reds score four run in the fifth against the aptly named Aaron Bummer.

Schebler and Votto walked.  Matt Kemp and Suarez struck out before Puig walked to fill the bases.  Derek Dietrich hit a three-run double.  Senzel plated Dietrich with a double.

The Reds used two other starters penciled into the rotation, Luis Castillo and Anthony DeSclafani.

http://donatelifeohio.org/

Castillo gave up a run on two hits in his inning.

"I felt comfortable in my first outing.  My pitches were there," Castillo said through interpreter Julio Morillo.  It surprised me how good my change up was. It is my best pitch.  I usually throw a slider.  I threw a curve ball a long time ago.  They came to me and said why not throw it again.  Now I have two breaking balls."

"It was good to see Castillo out there.  Gutierrez had another good outing for an inning."
DeSclafani allowed a hit and a walk but no runs.

"I thought DeSclafani looked good.  It is good to get the first one out of the way.  We were commenting the whole time he was pitching, how good he was< David Bell said.

"My body felt good.  My arm felt good.  I thought the ball was coming out of my hand pretty well," DeSclafani said. "I was throwing strikes. I could have used a better "out" pitch.  I'm out here working on stuff.  I threw a curve ball to the left-hander. I thought it was a pretty good curve ball."

A five-run sixth put the game away for the Reds.

Dietrich, Senzel, Alfredo Rodriguez and Kyle Farmer, who played shortstop his last game and caught today, had singles.

Christian Colon hit a three-run double off Juan Minaya.  Mitch Nay singled to cap the scoring.

Cody Reed and Lucas Sims allowed a run each in their inning.  Matt Wisler, Ryan Hendrix, Vladimir Gutierrez and Anthony Bass had scoreless outings.


No comments:

Post a Comment