About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Joey Votto Self Critique






Joey Votto doesn’t think he played well enough last year.

The‭ ‬35-year old,‭ ‬11-year veteran in the middle of a‭ ‬10-year,‭ ‬$225‭ ‬million contract,‭ ‬thinks a‭ ‬.284‭ ‬batting average and leading the National League in on-base-percentage doesn’t earn that type of cash.‭

“It was the first year where I had a poor offensive year,‭” ‬Votto said.‭  “‬Every season just happens.‭ ‬It is hard to speak on this without sounding arrogant.‭  ‬I've always performed at a certain level.‭  ‬Last year was a bit of a shock.‭  ‬I didn't perform any where near to what I'm used to.‭”

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
otto started working on his batting stance in December while supporting the negotiating stance of Manny Machado and Bryce Harper,‭ ‬who had successful seasons but are still unsigned.

(Machado signed a 10-year contract worth $300 million with the San Diego Padres this morning, 2/19)

‭“‬I did things differently,‭ ‬so I hope it works,‭” ‬Votto said.‭  “‬Intuitively,‭ ‬I know why I wasn't ready and came up short last year.‭  ‬I just made sure I didn't do that again and learn from my mistakes.‭  ‬I feel very confident.‭  ‬I'm excited to work.‭”

ht[[s://amazon.com/
Votto’s power numbers were down.‭  ‬He hit just‭ ‬12‭ ‬home runs,‭ ‬lower than even his‭ ‬2012‭ ‬season in which he hit‭ ‬14‭ ‬in‭ ‬35‭ ‬fewer games.‭  ‬He had a knee injury that cost him‭ ‬48‭ ‬games.‭  ‬Votto hit‭ ‬37‭ ‬homers in his MVP season in‭ ‬2010‭ ‬and‭ ‬36‭ ‬in‭ ‬2017.‭  ‬Last year the drop off had zero to do with health.‭

“I don't know if I've ever hit under‭ ‬.300.‭  ‬It is a very arbitrary number.‭  ‬If I had hit‭ ‬.285‭ ‬with‭ ‬35‭ ‬home runs,‭ ‬I would have been more or less OK with it but a couple or two of them where I didn't hit for average or power,‭” ‬Votto said.‭  “‬I felt fantastic.‭  ‬I was fully healthy.‭  ‬There wasn't anything but a lack of preparation.‭  ‬We just traded for Puig.‭  ‬I'm not that sort of athlete.‭  ‬Any really good player pays a bit of a price unless they are a super good athlete.‭ ‬I'm not that level of an athlete.‭  ‬I have to be very detail oriented.‭   ‬I wasn't mechanically sound last year.‭”

Yasiel Puig,‭ ‬one of the team’s many new faces that Votto saw on his first day of camp.‭

“We've added All-Stars.‭ ‬We've added guys with long track records.‭ ‬They have a lot of things to gain by playing very well here,‭” ‬Votto said.‭ “‬Hopefully,‭ ‬we carry that into a winning performance.‭”

http://donatelifeohio.org/

David Bell replaced interim manager Jim Riggleman in October.‭  ‬Bell managed farm teams in the Reds‭’ ‬system,‭ ‬giving him a head start in building a report with his longest tenured player.‭ ‬Bell was also the bench coach for the St.‭ ‬Louis Cardinals for three seasons,‭ ‬bringing another perspective.‭

“We are all human beings.‭  ‬There is a different relationship but there is also a friendship aspect to it.‭  ‬It takes a lot of time,‭ ‬effort and care,‭” ‬Bell said.‭  “‬He was the most difficult guy to defend.‭  ‬H He was not only the most dangerous but he played the game.‭  ‬He took what was given to him.‭  ‬He can handle the bat.‭  ‬He is very unpredictable.‭ ‬He was the most difficult guy to defend.‭  ‬He was not only the most dangerous but he played the game by taking what was given to him,‭” ‬Bell said.‭ “‬He is very unpredictable.‭”

While Votto has already begun tending to business on the field,‭ ‬he has strong feelings about business off the field,‭ ‬supporting the games stars who are‭ ‬unsigned.

‭“‬I'm very proud of them,‭ ‬as a fellow union member,‭ ‬for really sticking out and make sure they get what they think is fair,‭” ‬Votto said of situation Machado and Harper are in.‭ “‬They are the two marquee players.‭ ‬I don’t know either of them well so I don’t want to speak for them,but I think the toughest thing to do is stand your ground when what your really want to start playing ball.‭”

Votto started playing ball early Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment