About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Marty Brennaman Announces Retirement





Marty Brennaman will drop his mic after the final out of the 2019 Cincinnati Reds baseball season.

The 76-year old, a member of Baseball's Hall of Fame, will complete his 46th season in the Reds' broadcast booth.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Franchester Martin Brennaman, was born in Portsmouth, Virginia on July 28, 1942.  He attended Randolph-Macon College and graduated from the University of North Carolina with a degree in Communications in 1965.

Brennaman got his first job at WGHP-TV in High Point, North Carolina.  He moved on to work in Salisbury, NC and Norfolk, Virginia, calling games for the Virginia Squires of the American Basketball Association, whose star was Julius Erving.  He was the first broadcaster at Virginia Tech University to call both football and basketball.

In 1971, Brennaman broke into baseball with the Tidewater Tides, a New York Mets farm team.
ht[[s://amazon.com/

He joined Joe Nuxhall in the broadcast booth at Riverfront Stadium replacing Al Michaels, who moved on to national prominence broadcasting Major League Baseball and National Football League games.
http://donatelifeohio.org/

Always outspoken and known for "telling it like it is," Brennaman took pride in giving the Reds' fans an honest assessment of the game, often having run ins with Reds' management, players and MLB itself for critical comments when he felt them warranted.

Brennaman was called into Baseball Commissioner Bart Giamatti's office accused of inciting Reds' fans the night that manager Pete Rose shoved umpire Dave Pallone.

"I will miss the people," Brennaman said while announcing his retirement. "I've been thinking about it a long time.  I have my health and there are things I've wanted to do while I still have it.  I want to do some things, I couldn't do during the baseball season.  I know it will hit me full force next spring when everybody will be getting ready to go to spring training and I won to go to spring training and I won't be included."

Brennaman will still be affiliated with the Reds.





No comments:

Post a Comment