About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Dilson Herrera Experiments In Left Field






Dilson Herrera will make his first ever start in left field against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Herrera didn't have a proper glove so he borrowed Brandon Dixon's who is playing in place of Joey Votto, who is still partially hobbled by right knee that took a direct hit from Ryan Madson in Washington.

The Reds acquired Herrera in a trade with the New York Mets for Jay Bruce but shoulder injuries prevented the Reds from seeing what the second/third baseman can do.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

"As much as we want to win games, we have to find out what these guys can do," Jim Riggleman said.  "Most infielders can catch a fly ball.  We just want them to catch fly balls and hit the cut off man with throws."

Herrera just wants a place in the lineup.  He is batting second against the Diamondback's Robbie Ray, a tough left handed pitcher.

http://donatelifeohio.org/
"It is going to be my first time. I'm going to help the team and I'm happy," Herrera said.  "I don't know what is hardest.  I will try to do my best.  I'm just excited to play.  I've been watching Billy play. I'm going to try to do something like he does."

Riggleman wants to get Herrera some at bats but his at his main positions the Reds are blessed with All-Stars, Scooter Gennett and Eugenio Suarez.


"I want to get him some at bats," Riggleman said.  "It is tough to get him but with a tough lefty it gives us a chance to get another right handed batter in the lineup.  Phillip Ervin will play right field with left handed hitting, Preston Tucker and Mason Williams on the bench.   Dixon bats right-handed so it gives Votto a chance to get his knee back to 100 percent.

"As the game went on last night you could tell, Joey was having a tough time moving around," Riggleman said.  "We'll give him the day off to try to get his knee back to 100 percent."







No comments:

Post a Comment