About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Billy Hamilton Ninth To First With His Glove Baby





Francona manager of the American League Cleveland Indians was asked about the logic of batting the pitcher eighth and Billy Hamilton ninth, could not come up with an explanation.

"I've heard it explained but I don't remember the explanation," Francona said.  "We like to push our pitchers back as far as possible. I'd bat them 10th if I were allowed."

Hamilton has batted ninth 93 times this season.  Saturday night against the San Francisco Giants, Hamilton will bat leadoff for the 11th time this season.  He hit eighth in one game.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The leadoff batter is most likely to be the man to get a fifth at bat in a game.  The idea is to put someone in that spot who will get on base frequently.  The National League average for all batters is .320.  Hamilton's OBP is .310.  On May 6, Hamilton had been on base .322 percent of the time.  He is o off .12 points since then.  Hamilton singled last night to extend his hitting streak to nine games, however.

Hamilton's on-base-percentage dipped to .277 on June 16 but since then has been on the rise.

It is necessity and injury that prompted manager Jim Riggleman to make the move now.

"With so many guys out of the lineup (Scott Schebler, Jesse Winker, Joey Votto), I thought it was a good time to go ahead and try Billy there again," Jim Riggleman said.  "I didn't want to put him there and take him out again.  I hope he stays there.  Hopefully, that's the place he could help the ball club the most.  His play in the last month or so has indicated, now is the time to do it."

http://donatelifeohio.org/
Hamilton likes the move.

"It is a better feeling that you're playing every day.  I won't say it's a transition.  It's back to being normal," Hamilton said.  "I like to be out there more."

Hamilton was pleased to see his name on the line up card in the leadoff spot on Friday.

"Yesterday was like Christmas for me.  I saw the lineup. I went to Jim and asked him if his hand slipped or something.  I put it like that. I was just messing around with him," Hamilton said.  "It is good to be up there.  I talked to Scooter the other day.  He said it is yours to get back.  It is something that I take pride in."

The injuries have put Hamilton between a variety of guys who he never played with before.  Saturday Dilson Herrera will make his second ever start in left field.  Hamilton is lending out his spare gloves.

"I have a couple extra gloves that I lend out, not the one I use in the game.  That's my baby there. I've used it for six years," Hamilton said.  "It's old.  I love it. I have to keep.  It fun actually to play with different guys left and right because you never know what you're going to get.  It's fun to see Dilson out there and have some communication with the guys."

Hamilton's favorite glove does not have his name on it.

"A lot of guys tell me, this is the Major Leagues.  You've got to have your name on it," Hamilton said.  "I don't have a name for it.  I just call it my baby.  I don't have an actual name for it yet. I just call it my baby.  It is getting worn a little bit but I'm not getting rid of it. I'll have to keep getting new strings."

The name "Triple slayer" was suggested for it.

"Triple slayer, ok, that sounds pretty good. I might give it a new name," Hamilton said.w










No comments:

Post a Comment