About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Scooter Gennett Ready To Wield His Weapon On Anniversary






The sixth of June is an historic date.

The Allies invaded Nazi territory on Juno and Omaha beaches in 1944.  Scooter Gennett invaded home plate four times with a quartet of home runs to invade St. Louis Cardinal territory.

Gennett wasn't trying to be humble when he said," My expectations are lower than that for tonight. I always keep my expectations low."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Gennett likes having that type of personal success but admits that it doesn't mean much if the team is losing.

"It was nice and we won the game, but until we start putting up "W's" on a regular basis, it is not that meaningful,"  Gennett said.  "It is something I will look back on when I quit playing but right here and now in a Major League clubhouse those individual accomplishments don't matter much."

It was the 57th game of the season and Gennett had three home runs, including one on Opening Day when the Reds battled nemesis Adam Wainright.

The Reds' secondbaseman, who was born in Cincinnati, hit a grand slam off Wainwright in the third inning.  He hit another off John Gant in the fourth inning with a runner on base.  Gennett slammed the next off Gant in the sixth with one on base.  The last came off John Brebbia with one on in the eighth inning.  Gennett singled in the first inning to drive in a run.  He was 5-for-5 with four home runs and 10 RBI in the 13-1 win over the Cardinals.

"I don't put a lot of expectations on myself," Gennett said.  "If I go 1-for-3, I don't want to be upset if I expect to get three hits.  I keep expectations low.  That doesn't mean I want to strike out or anything but I'm not going to raise expectations, higher than what they already are."

No comments:

Post a Comment