About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 2, 2018

Scott Schebler On Shelf For A Day






Scott Schebler took a Sean Doolittle pitch off his right funny bone but he wasn't laughing.

Schebler stayed in the game but lost feeling in his fingers.  When he left he expected to be in the lineup on Monday.  He got treatment but the Reds and Schebler thought it best to sit out the game with the Cubs.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
It fit into Bryan Price's plan to rotate the four outfielders.  True to form, Schebler is the last of the quartet that includes Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton and Jesse Winker, to get a day off in this the fourth game of the season.

"We thought Schebler's elbow would resolve itself over night. With some treatment, he could help us off the bench later on today," Price said.  "I like to get Pennington in there.  I'd like to get (Phil) Gosselin in there too in the next couple of days."

Schebler had treatment and felt better even before the game but with capable replacements there was no reason to push it.

"I got hit right on the funny bone at 95," Schebler said.  "He got me pretty good.  I lost feeling in my fingers and that's what I'm struggling with right now.  I thought it would go away.  It is lingering right now.  I've already done treatment and is already starting to feel better.  Normally with a funny bone you hit it and in 20 minutes you're good to go. After what happened last year when I tried to play with a sore shoulder.  I tried to play through it."


Cliff Pennington is getting a start at shortrstop, giving Jose Peraza a break and to keep Pennington sharp. Pennington is a confident veteran presence on the field.

"There is a professional approach to what he does," Price said.  "He defends extremely well.  That was the number one tool coming out of the draft years ago, when you could be an upper level, middle of the diamond defender and he's a switch hitter.  He knows the strike zone and gives us competitive at bats off the bench."












No comments:

Post a Comment