About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Tyler Mahle's Cactus League Start A Prelude To The Starting Rotation







Tyler Mahle was closer to winning a coveted starting job in the rotation, when he took the mound against the San Diego Padres in a 3-3 10-inning tie.

News that Michael Lorenzen would be out of action several days with a grade one strain to hie teres major, hadn't stopped echoing around training camp when he threw his first pitch against the Padres.

Mahle has in all probability earned the job outright, anyway.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The rookie, pitched five scoreless innings of two-hit baseball in his last time out. Coming into the start against San Diego. Mahle has appeared in five games prior to the Padres, pitching 14 2/3 innings.  He allowed four earned runs on seven hits and two walks, in those games.

Mahle had a rough first inning.  He walked Manuel Margot on a close 3-2 pitch.  He appeared to pick off Margot but was called for a balk.  Wil Myers grounder to short erased Margot at third.  Eric Hosmer doubled over Billy Hamilton's head in centerfield, allowing Myers to score easily.  Joe Pirela singled to score Hosmer but was thrown out a second by Hamilton.

"He just missed a borderline 3-2 pitch, then hit a batter with a 1-2 slider," Bryan Price said. "He got better with his fastball command.  He was missing with the slider in the first inning off the corner.  He was bringing it back over the plate. He got better with it and that was great.  You've got to be pushed a little bit and he responded with four beautiful innings."

The Reds scored in the second against Padre starter, Dinelson Lamet.

Scooter Gennett doubled.  Sizzling Scott Schebler, who is working on taking the ball to leftfield, singled Gennett to third.  Jose Peraza singled to right, scoring Gennett.

The Reds got even in the fifth.  Peraza reached on an error by shortstop, Freddy Galvis.  Mahle's bunt forced Peraza at second.  Hamilton tripled down the rightfield line.  The Reds took the lead an inning later.  Eugenio Suarez walked.  Gennett's bid for a double was gloved by Jose Pirela running to the line but he couldn't hold onto the ball.  It was ruled a two-base error.  Schebler lined out deep to left as Suarez slid home.

Mahle pitched four scoreless innings after the first. He allowed one hit over the last four frames. He struck out six.

"It was a rocky first inning. I just made some bad pitches," Mahle said.  "I settled down. We threw more change ups the last four innings.  I try not to think about making the team too much.  It's out of my hand.  I just try to have good outings.  That makes me happy."

The Reds wanted Mahle to work on his slider and change up.  He's done that.

"In the past I'd take over the game with my fastball.  Tonight I took over with my change up. I've never been able to do that before," Mahle said.  "I used my slider tonight too.  It was the best it's been."

Kevin Quackenbush pitched a scoreless inning.  Wandy Peralta followed suit with a scoreless inning of his own.

Zack Weiss gave up a lead off home run to Matt Szczur in the eighth to tie the game.

Dylan Floro's two scoreless innings preserved the tie.










No comments:

Post a Comment