About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reds Showing Best Health In Years








The Reds are starting spring training in good health.

The only restrictions are on Amir Garrett, who had hip issues late last season and Rookie Davis, who had hip surgery.

"Amir is not doing as much running and his PFP (pitchers fielding practice) is different," manager Bryan Price said. "Rookie is throwing."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Homer Bailey, Anthony DeSclafani and Brandon Finnegan are ready to go.  The Bailey and DeSclafani start the spring healthy for the first time in two years.

“Everything feels good,” DeSclafani said. “I had a normal off season.”

A strained left oblique plagued DeSclafani in 2016.  The nagging injury which he suffered in his last spring training start, kept him on the disabled list until June 10.  That night he faced the Oakland Athletics in the Reds’ 61st game of the season.

The comeback was delayed by a setback.  DeSclafani made a rehab start in Pensacola on April 23 and another in Dayton on April 29 but he felt soreness.  The Reds shut him down for a month.  The 27-year old made his next rehab start on May 25.

DeSclfani came back strong and was a perfect 6-0 with a 2.94 ERA in his first 11 starts.  He finished the season 9-5 with a 3.28 ERA in 20 starts, one of which was his first career complete game on August 27 against Arizona.

Encouraged by the strong finish, DeSclafani and the Reds anticipated a full year of quality pitching.  That horse didn’t even get out of the gate.  He couldn’t even make a start in spring training with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

No surgery was required but DeSclafani spent the year on the disabled list.  He had several setbacks with his throwing program.  He made his first rehab start in the Arizona Rookie League on July 23 and was transfered to Dayton.  Against Fort Wayne, DeSclafani pitched four innings for the Dragons and it looked like he was close to returning.  He pitched another game for Dayton at Great Lakes on August 3 but left after nine batters with tendinitis in his right elbow.  It was back to resting and restarting a throwing program.  He didn’t pitch again until the instructional league.
“It was definitely frustrating.  It would have been nice to come back for even a little bit last year but it just didn’t work out,” DeSclafani said.

The silver lining for the native of Freehold, New Jersey was that he got close enough to start a normal off season throwing program.

“I was on a normal throwing program. I went through all my progressions,” DeSclafani said.  “It’s been a year now.  Hopefully, I can get myself to have a nice long, pain free year.”

DeSclafani is moving forward after a lost season.  There are no restrictions on him and he is throwing without pain.

“It just wasn’t meant to be last year,” DeSclafani said.  “I feel good now and that’s all I can control.  I’m looking forward to a nice long year.”


Finnegan is also ready to go.

“I’ve been ready since I left for the off season,” a confident Finnegan said. “Last year was tough. I’m not saying I’m the key but it was rough watching the team lose and wanting to help.”

Finnegan had a normal off season after dealing with a variety of injuries.

“I was never injured before.  It is going to happen sometime in your career.  Now I know what it takes to rehab,” Finnegan said.

The Reds will be cautious with Finnegan.

“We want to see him pitch some bullpens and live batting practice before we slot him,” Price said.  “I’m confident he will make the rotation.”

Finnegan is ready and believes he’s proven it.

“They saw my bullpen.  I don’t know what else they want to see,” Finnegan said.  “I’ve never had a good spring training.  In the past that’s just how it went.  I am concentrating on staying healthy.  That’s my only goal.”

As good as the Reds health is in general, the Reds were forced to void the minor league contract of RHP Jeff Manship, who was with Cleveland last year.  He failed the physical.

The Reds signed INF Cliff Pennington to a minor league contract with an invitation to Major League camp.   Pennington was the first position player to pitch in a playoff game, when he finished an inning for the Toronto Blue Jays in a 14-2 loss to Kansas City






No comments:

Post a Comment