About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Anthony DeSclafani Takes Comeback Step Brewers Step On Reds






The Reds dropped the game 6-3 to the Milwaukee Brewers but it felt like a win because they got to see an healthy Anthony DeSclafani for the first time in over a year.

DeScalfani pitched in a competition for the first time since, September 28, 2016 against the Brewers.

DeSclafani pitched two scoreless innings, two hits, two strikeouts. He estimated that he threw 30 pitches.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Nearly two years of working on the back fields at Goodyear with no crowds let alone Major League hitters, left him looking forward to this day.

A couple live bullpens and batting practice led up to this appearance.  Like his bullpens he was pleased with the results.

“The ball was coming out of my hand, good, just like it did in my live BP and bullpens,” DeSclafani said.  “Hopefully I can continue to do that.”

DeSclafani is penciled into the rotation after not pitching for the Reds all of last season.

"He was sharp with three pitches. He was very economical with his pitches, so he didn't get to his change up<" Price said. "He went through a really good lineup with a lot of Major League regulars. He handled it extremely well. If he'd have given up  five runs and come out healthy, I would have been just as tickled to see him out there."

His first Cactus League game back was encouraging by both the quality of pitches and the results.  The Brewers had two hits but both were off soft contact.  Eric Thames was jammed and dropped a weak, shallow pop up on the leftfield line to lead off the game.  Travis Shaw blooped a hit to past Jose Peraza into shallow leftfield.

“I got the ‘welcome back” hit to put me in the stretch from the get-go,” DeSclafani said.  "Weak contact is great. I got some fly balls. I was able to throw all of my pitches. I had a few good, comeback two seamers that I feel will be a good part of my game this year."

The teammates surrounded DeSclafani all week asking, "When you throwing? When you throwing?"

"I was glad to have the regular guys back there," DeSclafani said.  'It was nice to see the regulars out there."

DeSclafani and Tyler Mahle throttled the Brewers for four innings while Adam Duvall homered for the first time this spring, a two-run job and Joey Votto scored Mason Williams with a sacrifice fly to put the Reds up 3-0.

Jackson Stephens gave up three runs.  Eric Sogard hit a double with the bases loaded to tie the game.

After Alex Blandino missed an easy pop up in the sixth, the Brewers used the opportunity to score three unearned runs off Jimmy Herget to take the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment