About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Reds Sign Tucker Barnhart To Avoid Arbitration






The Reds’ avoided arbitration with Homer Bailey, signing him to a six-year deal in 2014. They avoided arbitration with Devin Mesoraco and signed him to a four-year deal the next spring.

Both signings were star crossed.  Bailey had a series of elbow surgeries.  Mesoraco had hips and shoulders fixed through operations.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Tempting fate again the Reds signed Tucker Barnhart to a four-year, $16 million contact as he emerged as a true everyday catcher in the void left by Mesoraco’s medical problems.

Barnhart is leading Major League catchers in fielding percentage, caught stealings and assists.  He has one error all year and that was 52 games ago.

With seven games left, he is hitting .273 which would be his best career average.  Barnhart is one short of his career highs for doubles (22) and home runs (6).

The Reds made an easy decision by signing the 26-year old, who was drafted out of Brownsburg, Indiana High School in 2009.

“He’s the right guy at the right time,” president of baseball operations and general manager Dick Williams said at a press conference on Friday attended by president and chief executive officer Bob Castellini, manager Bryan Price, Barnhart’s wife Sierra and newborn son Tatum and parents Kevin and Pam. “We’re pleased that ownership was behind the deal and gave us the resources to get it done.”

The ever humble Barnhart was not used to the attention.

“Obviously, I’m extremely humbled and grateful for all the kind words,” said Barnhart, 26, who would have been eligible for arbitration for the first time after this season. “It means a lot. Now I’m ready to go out and win some ballgames.”

 Barnhart grew up a Reds’ fan but was going to go to Georgia Tech partly because they had a famous collegiate catching coach.  He wasn’t thinking about professional baseball after high school, although that was his long range goal.

When the Reds picked him he changed his plans.

“I just want the opportunity to play,” he said. “I want to produce for the team. I’ll admit that there have been times this year when I’ve thought about what’s going to happen moving forward. Wiping that out and just worrying about winning is all I want to do.

Barnhart and his high school girlfriend Sierra had their first child Tatum on September 30.

 “My wife and I were joking that we’re getting all of the marriage stuff out of the way. We got married a couple of years ago, bought a house, had a son, and now the contract. It’s been like a whirlwind. It’s surreal. I don’t think it’s sunk in yet. It probably won’t until the off-season, but it’s something that I wanted to happen.”












No comments:

Post a Comment