About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Family Ties Highlite Reds - Red Sox Series





Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell is 100 percent behind his son Luke, except this weekend.  Andrew Benintendi came from his Madeira home to Great American Ball Park to watch his favorite player Ken Griffey Jr. play, hoping the Reds would win.  This weekend, he within his power to make sure they don’t.

Luke Farrell is in the Reds’ bullpen and there is a good chance he eill try to spoil his father’s trip to Cincinnati.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

“You shut things out and compartmentalize those things,” said Luke Farrell. who spent the afternoon with his dad before coming to the ballpark.  “We will get together when the season is over, probably by going fishing.”

John Fattell’s Red Sox lead in the American League East race with a three=game lead with 10 games to play.  They could be anywhere from a tie to a six game lead when they leave town.  The Reds have long been eliminated from contention but Luke Farrell, who is on his third team this season, has to prove that he can pitch in the big leagues.

“I’m proud of what he’s earned,” John Farrell said.  “Hopefully, this will be a side story for a successful series for us.  We have an ongoing conversation with texts. It is unique.  This gives us a chance to be regular people.  I had a similar experience with his brother Jeremy when he was with the Pirates but that was spring training.  There is an element of an adrenaline rush.  A set of nerves that kind of kick in.  He’s my son but he’s in the other uniform.  I don’t mean to sound crass or overly competitive. This is an important series for us.  We don’t take them lightly.”

Benintendi estimates a thousand friends and family from Madeira will be in the bleachers as he mans the third spot in the Red Sox batting order, hitting .278 with 19 home runs and 87 RBI. 

The Reds’ drafted by the Reds in the 31st round of the 2013 draft out of Madeira High School.

“Once the draft got past the second round, I knew I was going to college,” Benindendi said.  “It was the best decision I ever made.  I wasn’t ready for the long season of professional baseball. I had to go to college, learn how to lift weights, how to eat.”

The 5‘6“ 140 pound, Benintendi out of high school, who played basketball as well as baseball attended the University of Arkansas in Fayettville for two season and grew to 5‘10“, 175 pounds.

Benintendi hit .380 in his sophomore season with a .489 OBP and .715 slugging mark while leading Division 1 in homers (19) and stealing 23 bases in 27 attempts. He was named Southeastern Conference Player of the Year ahead of shortstops Dansby Swanson of Vanderbilt and Alex Bregman of LSU, the top two picks in the draft. He was a key to Arkansas run to the College World Series..

The Red Sox made him their first pick in 2015.  A year and two months later on August 2, 2016, Benintendi made his debut against Seattle.  His rookie status is still in tact as he plays the final 10 games for the Sox.

He attended a rally at his high school on the off day, Thursday.

“It was awesome. I’m not much for that kind of stuff but it was put together, really well,” Benintendi said.  “It was good to see everybody.  It is something, I’ll definitely remember.”

Benintendi came to watch the Reds four or five times.  He doesn’t remember a lot of details about the games but remembered how big Adam Dunn was. 

“I would picture myself playing here,” Benintendi said.

There will be a lot of fans from Madeira here to watch him.

“I’m not sure how many there are but I don’t know anyone who is not coming,” Benintendi said.  “I try to stay out of it and concentrate on playing.  They bought their own tickets.”

Madeira is a small suburban town about 12 miles from GABP.  They had a program for him at the high school gym  A fourth grade choir sang, “Take Me Out To The Ballgame_ and  “Sweet Caroline.”

“I kind of wanted to stay under the radar.  I want to concentrate on the game,’ Benintendi said. “I heard the ball flies here.  I can’t wait to get out to batting practice.”





No comments:

Post a Comment