About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Bronson Arroyo Sings Farewell To Reds And Red Sox






Bronson Arroyo spent 12 of his 16  Major League seasons with either the Cincinnati Reds or the Boston Red Sox.

He was with the Red Sox for three seasons, from 2003 thru 2005.  It was with Boston in 2004 that he emerged as a bonafide big league starter, winning 10 games in Boston’s first World Championship season since 1918.   He followed that up with a 14-win 2005 season, the first of eight seasons in which he pitched 200 or more innings.  He also had a season with 199 innings.

The Red Sox traded Arroyo to the Reds for Wily Mo Pena during spring training in 2006.  He is one of the most successful pitchers in Cincinnati’s long history.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
This is Arroyo’s last season.  He has been on the disabled list since June 19 after 14 starts which followed nearly three year of injury.  Arroyo’s 40-year old body can no longer stand up to the rigors of a Major League season.

While it lasted, Arroyo had an exceptional career.

Arroyo will finish sixth on the Reds’ all-time list with 279 starts, sixth with 1,157 strikeouts, 12th with 108 wins and 12th with 1,761 2/3 innings pitched.

From 2006 - 2013 Arroyo won 105 games.  Only six pitchers won more during that period.  He was one of three pitchers to make at least 30 starts in nine different seasons during that span.

After the game, Arroyo will turn to his favorite pastime, playing guitar and singing.

“It is going to be a mini concert,” Arroyo said.  “A real concert is three hours long.  Bronson Arroyo ain’t got three hours in him.  That’s Bruce Springsteen.  That’s Pear Jam.  That’s a real show.  I’m going to give them the appetizer.  I’m going to give them the shrimp cocktail and then they can watch the fireworks.”

Arroyo learned to play while he was in the minor leagues.  He recorded a CD singing cover songs.  He played for Reds’ fan at winter Redsfest.

“It’s going to be fun. I can’t contribute on the field right now, at least I can contribute in some other ways. People come to the ballpark.  In a lot of ways we are entertaining out here.  Internally, we’re thinking about wins and losses all the time, and that drives the machine. At the end of the day, the amenities here, the food, the overall experience still matters a lot to the fans. It is what keeps them coming back.  I’m trying to do my part. I’ve been doing some little things. They’ve given me the opportunity to play around the ballpark.  With the Red Sox coming in, it will be a nice cap to my career, moving on to the things that I’ll be doing.  I’ll be doing a lot more than throwing a baseball in the future.”




No comments:

Post a Comment