About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Luis Perdomo Battles Reds Rookie Sal Romano






Luis Perdomo was the beneficiary of four double plays.  Sal Romano wasn’t as lucky in a 7-3 loss to the San Diego Padres.

Romano lasted six innings after a slow start but his teammates couldn’t get the big hit to keep his team in the game.

"Sal was a lot closer to 50/50 balls and strikes number one.  The change up wasn't a factor as it was his previous starts," Bryan Price said.  "He was left with the fastball and breaking pitch.  They put the barrel of the bat on the ball with some regularity. It wasn't his best outing but there is something to be excited about with his arm and his stuff."

Jose Pirela, who hit two home runs on Monday, had four hits; two doubles, two singles.  Romano walked Carlos Asuajo with one out.  Pirela doubled down the thirdbase line past Scooter Gennett.  Yangervis Solarte grounded out to Jose Peraza at secondbase for the first run.  Romano’s wild pitch allowed Pirela to score.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
A walk to Cory Spangenberg set up the third Padre run.  Austin Hedges doubled.  Dusty Coleman’s sacrifice fly plated the run.

Perdomo had one clean inning, the third.  The Reds put two runners on in the first but a strikeout ended the threat.  Jesse Winker, Peraza and Tucker Barnhart loaded the bases with no outs in the second.  Romano struck out.  Billy Hamilton among the top 10 hardest players to double up, once every 109.5 at bats.  Hamilton’s bid for a hit up the middle took a high hop that allowed Asuaje to field it and turn an inning ending double play. 

 "We had five guys on in the first two innings and weren't able to come up with anything," Price said.  "Tip you're hat to Perdomo got the ground balls. He wasn't hunting the strike outs."

Winker walked and Peraza singled with one out but Barnhart hit into a double play in the fourth.  Hamilton singled in the fifth but was thrown out attempting to steal as Zack Cozart struck out.  Hamilton was ruled safe but the call was reviewed and overturned.  Votto walked in the sixth but Gennett doubled him up.

Romano got some help from brilliant catch against the centerfield wall by Hamilton, robbing Asuaje of extra bases.  Adam Duvall caught a line drive against the leftfield wall and threw to Peraza, who relayed to Votto to catch Solarte.  Will Myers sacrifice fly scored Pirela with San Diego’s fourth run.

"I was behind a lot,' Romano said. "I wasn't able to locate my pitches tonight. It was as simple as that.  It would have been much worse if it wasn't for Billy (Hamilton) and Duvy (Adam Duvall).  I tip my hat to them."

Hedges hit his 15th home run in the sixth off Romano.  Solarte hit his 12th off Drew Storen in the seventh.

The Reds got on the scoreboard after Perdomo left the game.  Winker singled for his second hit.  Peraza drew a rare walk.  It was just the 11th time this season that Peraza has drawn a base on balls.  Padres’ manager Andy Green took the ball from Perdomo and gave it to Jose Torres. 

You could cue up the double play as the move turned Barnhart to his weaker side of the plate.  Barnhart ruined the strategy with a three-run home run, his fourth of the season.

Hamilton and Duvall made some great catches.  Hamilton robbed Asuaje twice, the first was a leaping catch at the wall.  He made a diving stop of a line drive in the gap two innings later.

"He looked at me like are you serious?  Do you really have to do all that?" Hamilton said of Asuaje.  "I was kind of mad at him because he turned a double play on me. That's one thing I hate doing is hitting into double plays. I don't do a lot. I was kind of mad about out.  When a guy gets you out like that you want to turn around and get the same guy out."

The play against the fence required an adjustment because Hamilton really out ran the ball.

"When he hit I was thinking home run the whole time," Hamilton said.  "I ran and I looked up at the last minute and it was still going. I had to get to the wall.  I jumped up on the wall and it was a reaction play after that. The ball wasn't there yet.  At the last minute I had to react.  It was one of the toughest plays I had to make."




No comments:

Post a Comment