About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

It Was Avettt And Castillo Night At GABP But Cole Had The Biggest HIt






Luis Castillo opened for the recording artists the Avett Brothers at Great American Ball Park on Reds' concert night but Geritt Cole, no relation to Nat "King" Cole had the biggest hit.

The Reds young righthander, Castillo, made one bad pitch and his mound opponent, Cole made him pay in a 1-0 loss to hte Pitssburgh Pirates..

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"It was a mental mistake," Castillo said through interpreter Jullio Murillo.  "I just wanted to get ahead and I put a fastball right down the middle of the plate and he took advantage of it."

Cole’s first home run of the season and third of his career, broke a scoreless tie when he led off the sixth inning with a blast into the leftfield stands.

Castillo pitched two out into the fourth inning, allowing just a walk, when Josh Bell beat Joey Votto’s glove for a double.  David Freese singled to left but Adam Duvall, increased his Major League leading outfield assist total to 13 by throwing Bell out at home.  The Reds lead the Major Leagues with 35 outfield assists, saving Reds’ pitchers 11 2/3 innings on the year.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose," Castillo said.  "Today I felt really good on the mound today. My pitches were really good. "

Castillo has a 2-7 record but it could easily by reversed based on the way he's pitched.

"I don't feel frustrated.  I went out there.  I did my job," Castillo said.  "There will be more starts, if I pitch like that, I know I will win some games.  It is the same record Pedro Martinez had when he started in the big leagues."

"Luis was up to the challenge," Bryan Price said. "He more than held his own. He gave us an opportunity to win.  It's a sign of good things to come for our staff."

The Reds threatened with two outs in the fifth.  Scott Schebler, singled for the fifth time in his last five at bats.  Tucker Barnhart singled and stole secondbase unchallenged but Castillo grounded out to end the chance.

Both starters pitched seven complete innings. It was Castillo’s fourth quality start this month.  He allowed three hits and a walk while striking out nine.

Cole allowed five hits in seven scoreless innings.

Wandy Peralta took over for Cincinnati. Juan Nicasio for Pittsburgh. Both worked a scoreless eighth.

Michael Lorenzen pitched an uneventful ninth inning.




No comments:

Post a Comment