About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Eugenio Suarez Can't Go Home







 Eugenio Suarez loves his native country but isn’t sure he can go back this off season.

Suarez was born 26-years ago in Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela but with the imminent birth of his daughter Nicolle, he is afraid he may not be able to return.

‘I have my family there,” Suarez said.  “I try to visit for Christmas with my family there and try to enjoy, the couple months.  Right now everybody knows Venzuela is in trouble.  So it is not easy to be there.  I don’t know if I will go to Venezuela this year because my daughter is coming on the way.  I don’t want to be in trouble. I love my country.  I want to go over there so bad.”

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
His sadness was evident in the effervescent personality that can be seen signing and dancing in the clubhouse.  We’ve seen him salsa dancing on the GABP video board.

Suarez’ walk up song “Mis Illusiones” is a song that shows his love of Venezuela.



“The song says I love my country,m” Suarez said.  “I love Venezuela. I hope that one day that situation changes. I couple of singers sang it to Venezuela for the situation we have.  It is really beautiful.”

Niicolas Maduro, a former administrator for Hugo Chavez, has taken control of not only the executive branch but the legislature and judicial branches as well.  The US has imposed sanctions on the Venezuela government, intended to starve the Maduro regime of cash.   Venezuelan citizens are running short of food.

Suarez is one of three Venezuelan natives on the Reds.  Jose Peraza and Alejandro Chacin are the other two.

A former student activist and lawmaker in Venezuela, Gaby Arellano told the Miami Herald from her exile in Columbia,

“The street protests in Venezuela are a product of hunger,” Arellano explained . “Regardless of what the opposition does, or the dictatorship does, these protests are a product of the people’s needs.”

Venezuelan students are flooding to Florida to escape the effects of an economy that is oil rich but poor in every thing else.

There is bipartisan support in Florida to give the students temporary protected status.

Suarez’ former teammate with the Detroit Tigers has had death threats and forced to pay bribes so his mother would not be kidnapped.

The Reds thirdbaseman has his family to consider.  He just hopes for his homeland to return to it’s peaceful beauty.  The song represents his hope for the future of Venezuela.





No comments:

Post a Comment