About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

What Does Scooter Gennett Do For An Encore?






Scooter wasn’t in the original lineup on Tuesday.

Manager Bryan Price had Patrick Kivlehan scheduled to replace Adam Duvall, who hadn’t had a day off in awhile.

“I targeted the second day of this series to give Duvall a day off just to get Kivlehan in there,” Price said..  Scott Schebler missed two games after being taken out of the game Saturday with a strained left shoulder.

“I was waiting on Schebler,” Price said.  “We were waiting on Schebler and after I talked to him, I decided to give him one more non start.  That led into Scooter.”

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
“I’d like to say it was good match up management, but it wasn’t” Price quipped. “I went out to talk to the home plate umpire yesterday, David Rackley, about late inning changes. He said, ‘Who you taking out Gennett?’ That’s when he had three homers. It was kind or funny, certainly tongue in check.”

Gennett was fifth in the order on Tuesday.  On Wednesday, he is in the lineup at secondbase but dropped down to seventh in the batting order.  ?????

“I’d have to say that certainly that based on his recent performance, I found a way to get him in there,” Price said.  “Every now and again, I get my share of mail that suggests, I should be making decisions other than the ones I’m making. I expect after a four-home run game and not starting, I would get a lot more of that.  Then I dropped him in the batting order. I really wanted to put out a batting order, that put him leading off, hitting fourth and hitting second and hitting ninth.  I thought that would be funny.’

“Isn’t it great that we were able to witness something like that,” Price said/  “Anyone here is still talking about it. I was there for Mike Cameron’s and I talk about that six times a year.”

Gennett was claimed off waivers from Milwaukee the last day of spring training on March 28.  He had more playing time with the Brewers than he was going to get in Cincinnati. Gennett was born in Cincinnati on May 1, 1990.

“It was admirable the way he took to his role off the bench,” Price said.  “He knew the role was as a bench player and part time role more than he was acostomed to.  There was never any push back on that.  He’s been above and beyond as a teammate and fits into this culture beyond my expectations.”

“It’s baseball, man,” Gennett said.  “It’s a humbling sport. You’re not going to always perform well. It’s how you come back from that.  That’s what keeps you in the game.  That was my mindset. Just get another team and be available for whenever they call my name.  Keeping that attitude and mindset is important.”

Gennett had 270 text messages and calls.  He gave away some equipment to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and the Reds Hall of Fame.

“I’m very honored to have that at the same time I have a lot of work to do to get better,” Gennett said. 

It wasn’t like a no-hitter where players avoid talking to the pitcher about it.

“My teammates had a fun time with it. I appreciate it. It is something that doesn’t happen a lot and to be able to do it here in front of the home fans, in front of family and friends. My teammates definitely enjoyed it to,” Gennett said.

“Today is just like another day,” Gennett said.  “We always have that consistent attitude.  We treat everyone the same whether they do good or bad.  That’s what baseball is all about.”

Yet he got moved down in the lineup.

“I’m doing my job,” Gennett said.  “The crazy thing about baseball is you never know what’s going to happen in a single day. It is going to take some time to earn that right to be in the top of the lineup.  All I can do is go out and play and have fun with it.  We all want to get better.”

“I got some good sleep,” Gennett said.  “I got 270 text messages. I’m glad my phone didn’t die because I really still don’t know how to get back home to Kentucky.”

Included in his calls was the Hall of Fames request for collectable items.

“They gave me the option for every thing,” Gennett said. “I’ll keep the jersey, the bat, the batting gloves and the home run ball. I’m still going to use the bat. It’s pretty hot right now.  When it breaks, they’ll get it.”

Gennett still could become the first Major League player to homer in five consecutive at bats.






No comments:

Post a Comment