About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Scott Feldman Pitches Reds To Cross State Win






Indians manager Terry Francona was prophetic.

“I don’t imagine you see a lot of 2-1 games in this ballpark,” Francona said before the game. “Now watch us play one.”

That was the score going into the seventh inning.  The Reds three-run outburst changed the tone of the game.

Scott Feldman pitched six strong innings in the Reds 5-1 win over the visiting Cleveland Indians. He was hit twice by hard hit balls up the middle and survived a loud foul ball to completer his task.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I had a pretty good breaking ball but Tucker called a great game," Feldman said. "The had som balls hit hard early.  Ham bone (Billy Hamilton) made a great play. I made a play with my foot and my wrist.that worked out lucky for me.  It hit me in a good spot off the soul off my shoe. I didn't even feel it."

Billy Hamilton singled to open the game against Josh Tomlin and moved to second on a ground out.  Adam Duvall singled Hamilton home.  Scott Schebeler hit his 13th home run off Tomlin in the second inning.

Schebler homered in his third straight game. Since snapping  an 0-for-13 slump,  Schebler is has six hits in his last 13 at bats with three home runs.

Feldman shiut down the Indians, retiring the first eight batters, six on strike outs.  Tomlin the pitcher dumped a single into right field for the first Cleveland hit.  Feldman pitched out of a jam, er excuse me high leverage situation in the fifth.  Jose Ramirez hit a leadoff double and advanced to third on a groundball first out. Tomlin grounded out on a 3-2 pitch to keep the Indians scoreless.

Jason Kipnis led off the sixth his fourth home run that Hamilton climbed into the stands to try to catch.  Francisco Lindor followed with a double  Michael Brantley walked but Carlos Santana bounced into a double play.  Feldman struck out Edwin Encarnacion looking after a long drive of over 400 ft. was foul down the leftfield line.

"Mack (pitching coach Jenkins) came out and told me to get a double play," Feldman said. "Santana's a good hitter. I decided to throw him a change up. It's something I don't usually do but we got him to roll over on it.  The foul by Santana gave me a heart attack.  I threw inside three times in a row.  Tuck came out and we had a plan after that.  If he's going to pull the ball that hard inside, something on the other side of the plate might work."

Manager Bryan Price entrusted the 2-1 lead to Wandy Peralta, who made quick work of the Indians in the seventh.

The Reds got to Tomlin in the bottom of the inning.

Jose Peraza and Tucker Barnhart singled on a hit-and-run play to put runners on the corners with no outs.  Arismendy Alcantara, batting for Peralta, bunted between the mound and firstbase.  Peraza scored easily as Tomlin threw the ball down the line and into centerfield.  Boone Logan replaced Tomlin and struck out Hamilton.  Dan Otero was brought into pitch to Zack Cozart, the Reds’ leading hitter.  Cozart stepped to the plate with a .343 average.  His hard groundball single up the middle sxored two runs.

"Tomlin is hard to steal on," Bryan Price said. "He's quick to the plate, he throws over a lot and he varies the time he holds the ball.  We thought Tucker was a candidate for a double play.  It was well executed.  I sent Alcantara up because he's a switch hitter.  I usually use Scooter (Gennett) but they had a right-hander and a left-hander in the bullpen.  I didn't want to make it easy on him (Francona).  Alccie's a good bunter. It was a safety squeeze so he could pick a good pitch.  He didn't have to be perfect.  It was well executed too."

Alcantara was ready for anything when he went to the plate.

"You don't know what to do until they tell you what to do," Alcantara said.  "You have to be ready with an open mind.  As soon as I started playing baseball I bunted. I'm not to tall so I have to play the little game. You practice a lot so when you get in the situation, you have a good approach.  You have to know who's running. You don't have to be too perfect.  I just had to choose a good pitch."

Michael Lorenzen stranded two runners in the eighth inning.

Raisell Iglesias entered in the ninth in a non-save situation with Encarnacion, Ramirez and Chisenhall between him and the first Reds win in the last seven games with Cleveland.









No comments:

Post a Comment