About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Debutants Ball For Daniel Corcino




http://donatelifeohio.org/



How often does a player fulfill his lifelong dream on his birthday?

Reds right-handed pitcher, Daniel Corcino, struck out Wellington Castillo, the first batter he faced in the Major Leagues on his 24th birthday.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Corcino has been a rising star in the Reds' organization since signing as a 17-year old in January 2008.

Corcino shook off a tough 2013 and a very pedestrian 2014 spring training the culminated with a demotion from Triple A Louisville to Double A Pensacola.

The native of Azua, Dominican Republic was called up to shore up a battered bullpen on Friday. He became the fourth player (Tucker Barnhart, Jumbo Diaz and Carlos Contreras) to make his debut this season.

"I was just trying to relax in the bullpen," Corcino said after he struck out two in a scoreless inning. "It was exciting. My little boy was here. My family at home watched (on the internet). I was trying to stay calm. I talked to (Jumbo) Diaz. He told me baseball is the same everywhere."

Diaz, the 30-year old, took nine years to finally earn a trip to the Major Leagues.
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

"It was great," Bryan Price said.  "It was something for us to watch in a game where nothing was going on."

Price wanted to give the youngster a "soft landing' by working in a game that was out of hand.  The 3-0 loss to the Cubs was the closest he could find.

"Corcino was down in the zone with strikes and had a pretty good changeup,  What a difference," Price said, comparing the last time he saw Corcino pitch.

His catcher Brayan Price went out to talk to Corcino before the ninth inning started.

"I told him this is your this is you time," Pena said.  "He was calm and felt like he belongs here. It says a lot about the guy. It was fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment