About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Aroldis Chapman Getting Ready To Return To Action








Aroldis Chapman finished up a 25-pitch bullpen.

"He threw the ball outstanding," Bryan Price said. "He threw all of his pitches, including his slider. He was sharp _ extremely enthusiastic and happy to be out there, as we all were. It was exciting.”

"Throwing off mound big step for Chapman, who was hit by a batted ball hit by Salvador Perez of the Kansas City Royals in a Cactus League game on March 19.

A titanium plate was surgically implanted above his left eyebrow to fuse bone fragments on March 20. He was inactive for two weeks before he could exercise or play long toss.

“Well, it’s a step," Price said. "It was an obvious and essential step to the next thing, which will be live batting practice and game situations, and I think facing batters will be the biggest hurdle for him initially, but we haven’t seen any reason to feel like he’s other than optimistic about getting back on the mound.”

What’s next? What’s timetable?

“He’s going to throw a handful of bullpens before we consider facing live hitters and game situations, so I don’t know an exact timetable. His next step will be another bullpen," Price said.

It has not been decided if live batting practice will mean throwing without a screen.

“I can’t say with certainty," Price said. "It will really end up with where he’s comfortable. If he wants to throw with a screen in front of him that first time facing hitters, that’s up to him. That’s an offer, a courtesy we would make to anybody doing the same thing. Sometimes, the screen forces you to try to throw the ball and then finish behind it, and it can affect in a negative way the pitching mechanics. That’s why I don’t like the screen as much. We’ll see. The big test will be when he gets back into game, facing live competition.”

His next bullpen has not been scheduled.

“We’ll see how he responds tomorrow," Price. "He was really leaning on it for 25 pitches today. Our protocol typically has been to put two days in between bullpens. However, he has been able to throw. He’s been very active in his long toss, so he may feel good enough to throw on an every other day schedule.”

Chapman was pleased to get a chance to throw the bullpen.

“I feel really good. Everything went well. My fastball was really good. My command was good, The breaking ball worked good Everything was great. I feel really well," Chapman said through interpreter Tomas Vera.

“I do whatever they decide to do with me. I have to wait for what the doctor’s decision is, for Brysn decision is. Whatever they tell me to do I do it. I feel (good) physically, mentally, and my arm feels really well,” Chapman said.







No comments:

Post a Comment